Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tubeless Virgin: Few silly questions…
  • aroche
    Free Member

Right, after 5 or 6 years biking I’ve finally decided to go tubeless, – have a couple of questions that I know may seem a touch on the stupid side…

Have myself a Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheelset and and a 2015 Schwalbe Nobby Nic for the rear, and Hans Dampf for the front, both 2.35, both Evo Snakeskin Tubeless Easy.

Couple of Questions
    – Should you be able to inflate without any sealant? – think I remember coming across someone recommending to do this, as a kind of preliminary test, and then deflate and add sealant and re-inflate. – This might have been for a UST tyre though. I’ve tried anyway, and it seems to me like there is no hope of me inflating, at least wthout sealant.
    – The tyre feels a bit loose on the rim, particularly so when it is in the centre channel, as recommended by Mavic. Can’t see it inflating this way (granted I haven’t actually tried with sealant yet). Any tips or alternative ways of doing it?

If the answer to both of the above questions is “you definitely need sealant” to have any chance of inflating, then that would be useful to know, – because nothing is infating right now without it at least. Alternatively, if the answer is that generally you should be able to inflate, though it might not stay inflated for long, – then I might need to try a different tack, – perhaps popping in one side first with a tube.

scaredypants

to get it to seat you need watery washing-up liquid on the beads

to keep it sealed you may want to add some jizz

(are the rims and tyres UST or “just” tubeless ready ?)

((Addit: If they tyres are brand new you might want to put a tube in & pump up overnight to get them to ease a bit))

aroche
    Free Member

Tyre is “tubeless easy” which I believe is basically tubeless ready

The problem I have is that when I pump, there is no inflation at all, ie. no air at all being retained – it doesn’t come anywhere close to getting the beads to pop into the rim . its like the tyre bead is just too loose on the rim.

I’m using a track pump if that matters (Joe blow Mountain, – pretty decent volume).

aroche
    Free Member

OK, some good progress

Did what I said there about seating on one side first with a tube, then remove the tube, add valve and it flew up then, and click clicked in, no sealant nor soapy water even.

So, I’ll deflate it now, add some sealant, maybe soap up the bead to be safe, and reinflate and we should be golden as they say.

aroche
    Free Member

Quick question? – do you really have to use sealant even?
    anyone doing it without sealant? or would it be “unwise”

kelvin

Seating with a tube is the only reliable way I know. Removes all the pain.

When you reinflate, try doing it without the valve core in. And a high volume track pump not a high pressure one.

kelvin

You need the sealant, esp with a tubeless ready/easy tyre.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Try to set part of the bead on the upper/outer part of the rim with a tyre lever.

You should be able to seat a tyre – getting it to pop at around 30-40 psi. Then remove the valve core to add sealant.

A wipe round the rim with a soapy sponge first will help the pop.

aroche
    Free Member

All sorted now, thanks all for the help.
    Turned out easier than I thought in the end.

aroche
    Free Member

Last silly question (I think).
    If I need to change tyre, anything to be aware of?

Should the sealant be cleaned off the old tyre, or does it matter?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Last silly question (I think).
    If I need to change tyre, anything to be aware of?

Maybe best to do it away from the living room carpet as there will still be sealant sloshing around in the tyre. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward. You can clean the tyre if you are worried about weight but I never bother.

garage-dweller

Disposable plastic party cups (200ml sort of size) are good for scooping out leftover sealant.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve found that one of these with some rubber pipe are great for injecting new sealant/sucking out old sealant.

lornholio
    Free Member

Leave the old sealant residue on the tyre when you remove it – this is what seals the tyre and will make the setup pretty quick next time. If you remove it you’ll need to go through the whole shake/rotate/wait/check routine again when you reinstall it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Virgin: Few silly questions…’ is closed to new replies.