Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless unlucky or crap tyres…
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I dont ride much anymore, not enough time but on the few ocasions I have managed it I’vegone and put a hole in a tyre.

Innerleithen a few months back, in the tread center, tube sorted me out. Happend at the top section, and didnt even do a mad drop or owt.

On a natural ride a small rock glanced my front sidewall and put a hole in it. Both times the sealant failed to do what its meant to do (Joes)

Both times it was Specialized tyres.

Am I unlucky, is the sealant crap (now got Stans for next time) or are the tyres so thin that theyr’re next to useless for tubeless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Touch wood I’ve only ever damaged 1 tyre which sealed up properly with Stans. tend to run decent thickness rubber these days Maxxis EXO for the sidewalls.

pembo6
    Free Member

I’ve never had problems with running specialized tubeless. But in my experience, Stans is WAY better than Joes at sealing holes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I find more sealant helps. I put three scoops of Stans in. Also check occasionally it hasn’t dried out and if it has top it up.

It’s not totally puncture proof though. Big enough hole just won’t seal. Try those anchovy patches for trail side fix without having to take the tyre off. Only really any good if it’s a hole on the top though

I’ve had a couple of punctures from big flints cutting a hole and used inner ‘boot’ style patches. Mine’s a tubeless patch kit but they look like tube patches basically so they might work. Just clean up and patch the hole inside, reinflate tubeless and keep riding.

Oh, and it’s common knowledge, Maxxis work best tubeless 😛 (seriously though, I rarely see people having issues tubeless with Maxxis tyres. Particularly with burping issues. Never had that myself).

scaredypants

IME specialized (and schwamlbe – ho ho, not editing that typo; wonder how long before they make the “uncle bulgaria” 😆 ) mtb tyres are flimsy shite (though they now do “grid” models with sidewalls made out of actual somethging). I do ride in a very flinty area though

Regardless, buy some repair strips/anchovies and put yourself in with a chance

(some folk put glitter in their jizz to make it deal bigger holes, too)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

some folk put glitter in their jizz to make it deal bigger holes, too

Glittery jiz!
    a bit like vigazzle?

UPDATE, bit the bullet with some new High Roller 2’s from Merlin this morning as I’ve never shredded the 1st version in the past and Stans to seal. Used Joe’s to wash the cup out and swilled it in there too.

marcfoy89
    Free Member

I ran specialized purgatory control (not the grid casing) tubeless for a while without any issues, then started riding knarlier trails and they didn’t hold up, now running a magic Mary evo up front and a minion dhf exo on the rear no issues yet fingers crossed and my riding has come on miles!!!

Northwind

Specialized Control aren’t tough (that’s not a complaint btw; if you buy a lightweight tyre and complain that it’s not as tough as a heavier one you are a tube). Tough enough for me tbh except for dh, I’m light and seem to ride light/accurately so I very rarely tag a sidewall. But ymmv.

I’d say though that most tyres, when you flat tubeless, it’d have flatted you if you had a tube too. And there’s a bunch of times when you would have flatted with tubes, that you didn’t. There’s a bit of a tendancy to drop pressures mind and tbh, sooner or later you’ll pinch the tyre or dent the rim if you drop below your minimum toob pressure.

Tubeless repair kits can be good; I just fit a tube personally thoigh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless unlucky or crap tyres…’ is closed to new replies.