Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless Tyres Dammit!
  • jamj1974

Been using tubeless tyres for well over five years. Had no problems with UST Rubber Queens, Minions and High Rollers on DT, Roval or Stans Flows rims. Since buying a set of Arch EX Hope Hoops I’ve had nothing but issues with getting a good seal between rim and tyre with brand new UST Rubber Queens and now Specialized Purgatory 2bliss. I really have had a tough time and have used all the usual methods – compressor, toe clip straps, pre-inflating with tube, soapy water etc…

When I can get an initial seal – after lots of swearing I then find I spring a leak at the rim when adding air.

What the hell am I doing wrong after all these years of no hassle success?

zippykona

My recent problems were caused by a hole in my rim strip. Worth a check.

jamj1974

Only using tape.

gavstorie
    Free Member

if you put too high a pressure in the tyre when you are trying to get an initial seal.. it will stop the sealant from beaing able to work..

Pump the tyre up high enough to get the bead into place then drop the pressure to about 30-40psi and do the stans dance. leave the tyre for about an hour then check the pressure.. if its down to about 20psi.. leave it overnight and check again in the morning..

if its still about 20psi in the morning.. pump it up to your desired running pressure.. if its significantly lower than it was before.. pump it back up to 30psi and use fairy liquid to find the leaks… maybe add more stans solution and repeat the above until it is totally sealed…

jamj1974

Thanks both

if its still about 20psi in the morning.. pump it up to your desired running pressure.. if its significantly lower than it was before.. pump it back up to 30psi and use fairy liquid to find the leaks… maybe add more stans solution and repeat the above until it is totally sealed…

This is what I have been doing! It’s the repeated lack of sealing that is a ball ache! On my flows and my previous DT’s and Rovals they have gone up first time every time!

gavstorie
    Free Member

If you are refitting used tyres… did you clean the beads before fitting them?

there could be something trapped between the bead and the rim

jamj1974

All tyres are new tyres. I do clean beads whenever I have refitted tyres in the past.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re using two layers of tape?

One random idea – I recently left a little bowl of washing up liquid in the garage for a few days while I was busy with other stuff. When I went back it had dehydrated into a thicker waxy substance.

Tried it anyway and it worked brilliantly on the Superstar rims I’d been struggling with, staying in place nicely after smearing round the edge I wanted to seal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyres Dammit!’ is closed to new replies.