Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless Tyres…?
  • oceanskipper

So when a tyre says the bead type is “folding” does that mean it’s a tubeless tyre? And what is a clincher?

I’m after some MTB tyres for new Shimano WH-M8120 29″ wheels to go on my e-bike. I have some Smart Sam tyres with an inner tube on my existing wheels so tubeless is a new thing for me.

I was looking at these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-smart-sam-plus-greenguard-snakeskin-mtb-tyre

If anyone fancies recommending some I’d be grateful. I don’t want to spend a fortune on them – certainly below £100 for the pair.

All round tyre really is what I’m after. Minimum 2.25 width. Same front and rear. E-MTB use, just trails and tracks that are not massively muddy.

I like Schwalbe or Maxxis I guess.

EDIT – If it’s possible I don’t want to have to use sealant…

simondbarnes

So when a tyre says the bead type is “folding” does that mean it’s a tubeless tyre?

No. It means the tyre has a kevlar bead rather than a steel one so can be folded.

EDIT – If it’s possible I don’t want to have to use sealant…

Don’t even consider running tubeless then

ajantom

Clincher means the bead fits to/under the rim sidewall, i.e. most tyres.
    As opposed to a tubular tyre as used by a lit of track cyclists.

Tubeless pretty much has to be used with sealant. Otherwise it often won’t seal around the bead and any thorn, etc. will cause deflation.

It’s not often I advise against tubeless, but in your case maybe don’t, and just use Slime in your tubes.

oceanskipper

Actually – thinking about it I’ll stick with inner tubes for now. That wheel will accept both. 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Don’t be afraid of tubeless. I put it off for many years but after a nightmare scenario one snowy winter’s day involving multiple hawthorn thorn punctures and a long, cold 5 mile walk back home (could have been a 16 mile walk home) I’ve been puncture free since 2016.

If you’re not feeling confident then get your LBS to install the rim tape and do the initial setup and inflation. Then, you just need to top up with sealant through the valve now and then, depending on how much you ride.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyres…?’ is closed to new replies.