Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • tubeless tyre set up not working
  • jamies206
    Free Member

Hi, new here however having difficulty in setting up tubeless tyres, I bought a stans kit for mounting schwalbe nobby nics onto fulcrum red power xl rims, the tyres are inflating fine when valve core is removed and notleaking at all even with no sealant in however when I put the core back in there is not enough air getting through to inflate the tyre. I’m using a homemade compressor which is working fine with no core so feeling the issue is with the valve core or the tyre not seating right, I have left the original rim tape in place on the rims. Can anyone help? Thanks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What psi have you inflated them to with a track pump with the core removed?

angeldust
    Free Member

Soapy water and perseverance will probably do it

jamies206
    Free Member

I’ve inflated the compressor (2l bottle) to 80 psi and let all that go in, not sure how much psi this is in tyre

jamies206
    Free Member

And used lots of soapy water, with more soap than water!!

duncancallum

If they go up n seat on the bead when you pump them up they shouldn’t come away when you drop the air out

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Try a local garage compressor? If you have the space consider getting a cheap one from machine mart etc.. Useful tool and not much more than some of these fancy track pumps.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yet again it baffles me how many don’t read the OP!
    They are sealing fine – he can’t however get them fully inflated once he puts the valve core back in.
    Either something is causing a blockage or you need a small 25lt compressor to overcome the valve resistance.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue before and resolved it by hanging the wheel (off a wheelbarrow handle) off the ground. Worked a treat and went up with a track pump.

showerman
    Free Member

with core removed put into pump and give it a blow air should just rush through if not core borked, you do have core fully open to?
    have you removed core and closed it put to one side then pump tyre up so as to be seated 60/70psi with track pump, it is seating with track pump only fingers crossed then quickly remove pump and srew core back in.

scaredypants

have you tried the compressor with the valve in ? Might be fast enough to seat the beads
    (does sound to me like they’re not fully seated – OP, are you using yellow tape or some other sort of rimstrip ?
    does anyone know, should they they “pop” on noticeably using that kit ?)

jamies206
    Free Member

I’ve tried without the valve core and they go up fine with no airloss at all but once I let the air out to put in the valve core the edges of the tyre move away from the rim and I can’t get enough air through the valve core to blow them up again. Will try removing core and pumping up to about 60psi tonight then if that fails only other thing I can think of is to remove the existing rim tape on the rims however didn’t want to do this without advice first. Cheers.

benpinnick

Don’t let all the air out again? When I inflate tubeless tyres i inflate with a compressor, remove the hose, finger over the valve, then quickly insert the valve. Tyre is still at 30 psi or so when done. Don’t bother screwing the compressor onto the valve stem. Just push it onto the end.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Exactly as above poster pump up nice n high remove hose pop finger on top and then quickly pop valve in, minimal air loss. I have exact same wheels running tubeless no stress at all.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

its a bitch that the tyre bead moves in when you release the air. have you heard them ping? try the track pump without core as above until they do, this means the bead is seated in the rim and shouldnt come away. never had to go higher than about 30/35psi for this myself tho..

another idea – new valve core? i can use my coke bottle compressor with the valve core in as long as its not full of gunk.

sparkyrhino

If there new tyres,stick them on a rim with a tube and leave overnight first, gets all kinks out of bead, when going tubless, after you have put jizz in and fitted last bit of bead, i roll them gently on ground a few times, just lifting off ground as you do, seems to get bead mostly seated.Then raise off ground valve to the side or top,never bothered removing core, and pump like a good un till tyre starts to seat fully, inflate to 60psi and do the shake trick, leave at 60 psi for a good while, then drop to desired pressure, and go for a blast round the block. Worked everytime different rims and tyres( might just be lucky)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Assuming the tyres hold air properly, your issue is that it goes flat by the time you’ve screwed the valve core in?

Your solution is your trusty finger. Get everything you need in arms reach. Make sure the valve core is screwed closed. Put more pressure than you will need in the tyre, say, 30 psi. Remove pump head. Place finger on the valve to prevent air coming out. Using other hand, grab valve core. Get the valve in the correct orientation in your free hand and quickly switch hands, immediately screwing the valve in.

You will lose some pressure, but done well, not enough to make the beads fall from the rim. Now re-adjust pressures.

This will get you by, but if your fit is so loose for this to be so marginal when you have time and perfect conditions at home, you ought to think about how you’re going to remount tyre in the wild, in less than perfect conditions, with only a mini pump to get the beads to seat initially.

creamegg
    Free Member

Sometimes I wonder how some people get through life with such a low level of common sense 😀 As mentioned above, once you remove the (inflator) hose from the valve, put your finger over the valve and quickly screw the core in. This method has worked for me every time.

Denis99
    Free Member

I put the tyre on its side, I use a large bucket to support the wheel. This way the tyre is not in contact with the ground. It just might be that when you let the air out, the tyre bead is breaking on both sides of the rim.

When you try to re inflate , with the valve core in, you are trying to reseat the tyre all over again.

Try putting the wheel and tyre on a bucket, thereby removing any possible seating issue.
    Regards

Denis

scc999

What Benpinnick (and others) have said.

I use a coke bottle compressor to make sure the tyre seats ok.
    let the air out, then add sealant and use compressor to inflate tyre again, shake to get sealant all round and stop any big leaks should you have any.
    Remove the compressor tube and stick your finger over the hole – quickly screw the valve in, then pump back up with the track pump, shaking the wheel as required to stop any leaks from the rim.

Works for me – am in the process of making a more robust compressor from an old fire extinguisher but only because I’m worried I’ll inadvertently damage the coke bottle and then my hearing when I use it next!

HTH
    Si

squoglybob
    Free Member

Basically what sparky rhino said above, however absolutely useless if your in a rush but as he said gets kinks out and when you pop the tyre to get tube out one bead remains stuck in.

Other goes on a treat using a track pump, “in my experience” others may vary.

Superficial
    Free Member

If I put ~100psi in the coke bottle and inflate a 2.3″ tyre, I’ll usually end up with a final seated pressure of around 20psi. Which is fine for seating the tyre but not enough for it to snap into the bead. It needs topping up one way or another.

With my 9p ghetto bottle compressor, I can leave the track pump attached. So do the usual business, get the tyre seated and then top up with the track pump (via the bottle / tubing) and put 40psi in until it all pings into place. (This is slightly inefficient since you’re re-pressurising the bottle as well as the tyre but it’s not really a problem).

Then as someone else said, finger over the valve and shove the core in quickly. Minimal pressure loss, but more top up with the track pump if you need it.

Alternatively, buy a compressor 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

So people are going up to 100psi in their coke inflators 😯 – I’ve only gone up to 60 and that’s with it wrapped in duct tape… FWIW though it seems to inflate fine that way.

To the OP, it sounds to me like the beads aren’t seating properly so that once the air is let out you’re starting from scratch again. As has been suggested, you should be able to get the pump off the valve and your finger over it and then quickly put the core in without losing all the air.

Or you could get the inflator off and replace with a pump and inflate to a higher pressure to seat the tyre fully if that’s not happening.

amedias
    Free Member

More to the point, if the beads are coming away that easily when you let the air out then it doesn’t sound like they are seating that well.

IME, with a decent seal on tubeless letting the air out should leave you with a flat tyre but the beads still seated, you should then need to push the beads to unseat them, or at very worst they should only unseat once the last of the air comes out.

If they’re unseating that easily just by letting some air out then you’re at risk of burpage on the trail as they can’t be that well seated.

Are you hearing the beads pop into place? beads definitely seating properly and evenly all the way around?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Amedias +1.

Although, sometimes new tyres need to ‘take a set’ for a day or two under pressure after being packaged up.

deviant
    Free Member

……..and this is why I don’t run tubeless!

Sod all that faff, just whack a tube in there and be done with it.

scc999

Each to their own.

I prefer to do any faffing (pretty minimal to be honest, I don’t often swap tyres) at home in the dry at a time of my choosing rather than on the trail, keeping everyone waiting.

But, as I say, each to their own.

Si

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s only a faff if you don’t know what you’re doing. Once you do it’s fine.

You could argue that learning to ride a bike is a faff, but it’s easy once you’ve got it.

nemesis
    Free Member

tubeless = sometimes faff in the garage (most wheels are a lot easier to set up than the OPs)

Non-tubeless = faff on the trail

I prefer my faff in the garage, not spoiling rides.

Usual caveats that if you never have issues on the trail then tubeless is probably not of much benefit to you

kerley
    Free Member

and this is why I don’t run tubeless!

Or just use the right parts for the job. Stans rim with tubeless ready tyre and I can install a tubeless tyre more quickly than you could install a tubed tyre as one less step for me.

The fact I will be pumping it up every day for the next few weeks until all the sidewall holes are filled due to my insistence on buying Continental tyres is besides the point.

jairaj

More to the point, if the beads are coming away that easily when you let the air out then it doesn’t sound like they are seating that well.

Are you hearing the beads pop into place? beads definitely seating properly and evenly all the way around?

This is the key point. Sounds like the tyre is inflating but the beads have not seated in the rim and I believe this is the problem you need to fix.

Which Stan’s conversion kit did you use. The yellow tape one or the one with the rubber rim strip?

If using the rubber rim strip it can be hard to get the tyre to seat correctly as you have the rim strip in the way. I found pumping to higher pressure ~50 psi usually gave it the extra force required to push the bead to seat properly. I don’t know what the max pressure a coke bottle compressor can take and if you can increase the pressure. But I always found a normal track pump was enough to inflate tyres when using the rubber rim strip. Also as the instructions can hang the tyre up when inflating. I can’t work out the science behind it but for me it works better than putting the tyre on the floor.

Or failing that put some sealant in when you inflate. Keep the coke bottle attached and swirl the sealant around the tyre and let it rest a seal for a few hours. The rubber strip will bond to the tyre effectively making a tubular tyre. You can then remove the compressor and pump up as normal with a hand pump to get the beads to seat.

carlos
    Free Member

Why not just start from scratch by bunging in a tube??

Soap up the beads, bung in a tube, inflate to seat the tyre, deflate and remove 1 side of the bead in order to remove the tube, fit tubeless valve complete with the core and inflate with a decent track pump, once its all pinged into place and upto about 45psi, remove valve core again, add Stans (other brands available), re-fit valve core, inflate to 45psi, go for a spin round the block, adjust pressure and crack open a beer

Superficial
    Free Member

So people are going up to 100psi in their coke inflators 😯

Yup.

When I first made it, I tested it (with the bottle full of water to reduce the stored energy / explosion risk) up to 150psi. I’ve also duct-taped it. The bottle is old and well-used now though and I suspect the scratches / dents will weaken it significantly.

A quick Google suggests that the ‘industry standard’ is for these bottles to withstand 150psi, and apparently some manufacturers spec up to 250psi.

On the other hand, this seems to have happened at 110psi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERonjBB0Oc
    YMMV. Compressors are probably safer.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

inflate to 45psi

Just check the max pressure of your rims first.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah well in that case I’ve been much too careful 🙂

To be fair, 60psi in mine leads to a 29er 1.9″ tyre pumped to pretty much the sort of pressure I’d run it at (25psi) though not the 40psi I’d usually use to fully seat the beads (I use a track pump afterwards to get it up to 40).

I’ll give it another go. I’ll blame you if it fails 😉

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m referring to tyre pressure rather than the inflator pressure. There have been a couple of threads on people being slightly deaf and wearing a tyre full of sealant after overinflating and blowing the tyre off the rim.

jamies206
    Free Member

Cheers folks few ideas there to try, im using the stans kit with the rubber rim strip so maybe need some extra PSI to properly seat the tyres, they were also brand new tyres so they are currently on the rims with a tube as advised, will try blocking valve once inflated before putting the valve core back in.
    Hopefully get this all working before heading to Fort William at the weekend.
    Cheers again.

nemesis
    Free Member

Have to say, I wouldn’t go out on tubeless on a trip away as the first ride – best to check it works properly out on the trails rather than spoiling a trip if it’s not quite right.

nemesis
    Free Member

people being slightly deaf and wearing a tyre full of sealant

Done that on my CX – 60psi IIRC 😉

jamies206
    Free Member

Ill be bringing spare tubes with me just incase so no worries there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘tubeless tyre set up not working’ is closed to new replies.