Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless Rims – Stans or 819’s
  • martyntr
    Free Member

I’m converting my rear wheel as the rim has an unrepairable Dink (read crease !!)

I have looked at Stans and at 819’s what are your thought and what alternatives would you suggest ?

Thanks for your help again Guys (and Gals)

househusband

Stans if you’re happy with tubeless; XM819’s if you want proper UST.

martyntr
    Free Member

Have 717’s and am converting for the first time as I’m sure it’ll save me a fortune in tubes in my rear wheel, a rate of 1 every couple of rides, (and I ride a lot)

Anthony
    Free Member

If you like cheap, light non UST tyres then Stan’s.

If you like heavier, expensive but sturdier UST tyres then 819’s.

nickc

Do you mean a Stan’s Rim or a normal rim with a Stan’s tubless kit?

Anthony
    Free Member

Good point nick, I was referring to the Stan’s rims.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really like the Flow rim for its combination or reasonable light weight and extra width, that’s the reason I plumped for Stan’s. If anyone knows of a wider lighter rim than the Stan’s, let me know and I’ll consider that.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah second the Stans Flow recommendation. When you factor in the weight of the external nipples on the 819, the Flow is lighter, even with the rim strip and easily as strong.

martyntr
    Free Member

Stan rims guys. I’ve been looking at the Flow’s

chakaping
    Free Member

Do ust tyres work on stans and similar rims?

Onzadog
    Free Member

However, when I bought my Stan’s Flow rims, they were £49 each. They seem to have gone up a little. Anyone know of good prices on them anywhere?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, the Stan’s rims work with UST. They suggest using the yellow tape method for UST and rim strip for conventional but I ignored the advice and my Flow rims with yellow tape have worked fine with my Maxxis ADvantage tyres.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cool, ta.

UK-FLATLANDER

I think it depends what sort of riding you do, I have both 819’s and some Stans Olympics. If your after a realy strong rim I would go 819, if you want light the Olympic. I just have a slight worry about the lack of eyelets.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

big fan of stans flow here. I think they’re not eyeletted since theres more material in the central section of the rim, since the sidewalls are basically non-existent.

john_l
    Free Member

I’d go for Arches – lighter than the Flow but sturdier than the Olympic.

Not sure what Anthony’s comment means though – Stan’s rims are designed to be used with UST/Tubeless tyres & they’re not cheap!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Rims – Stans or 819’s’ is closed to new replies.