Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless rims, non UST tyres, and loads of sealant!
  • LabMonkey
    Free Member

Currently, I run a couple of sets of Mavic EX819 and EX823 rims with UST tyres and stan’s sealant – and they work just fine, no punctures, no fuss!

Looking at the the UST tyres I have here the beads look no different to that of standard tyres (although I have no non UST tyres to compare them too).

So, has anybody tried to run non UST tyres with lots of sealant on UST rims? Either Mavic’s, Stan’s or any other?

My reconning is, once you get a seal and the sealant blocks the pourus holes in the non UST tyres they might work? Maybe? Giving more tyre choice, less tyre weight and it would be cheaper too!

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

I run set of crossmax with non UST Maxis Advantages (folding) and stans sealant. Rear went up with a track pump, front needed the work compressor (they were brand new through). Seem to do the job just fine

xc-steve
    Free Member

I have 819’s Small Block 8’s folding and Sealant worked fine, first attempt at tubeless too! Seem to be holding ok. Guess the thin side walls might be a bit of an issue but shall complain on here if they split! The sealant does the hard work.

Pumped them both up with a track pump

K

Yeah most are fine, had some Panaracer Razer 2.3 folding tyres that are too loose though, won’t stay on the Mavic D3.1 rims. Everything else I have tried works.

I put them on with out sealant first to make sure they sit on the bead ok.

njee20
    Free Member

The biggest problem is getting the tyres to not fall into the well in the centre of the rim, if you get some draught excluder type foam and stick it in the well it’s far far easier to inflate tyres, I always used to do that.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys, I thought this might work but didn’t want to buy some tyres just to find out that it doesn’t, and then have to revert back to tubes to use the tyres.

I like the idea of running 600g tyres as opposed to 1000g ones! Cheaper and faster – but noted, the sidewalls may be an issue due to potential rips or ‘flopping’ about a bit!

D0NK

Yep I tried with conti gravitys, needed foam in the groove to push the beads up a bit and they worked for, ooh, about 2 hours. First lakeland descent punctured the tyre (which resealed after quite a bit of pressure loss) the third downhill pinched 2 holes in the tyre which wouldn’t seal.

Works but normal tyres are more flimsy than USTs, you may have better luck – I’m pretty hard on tyres/tubes.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Just to expand on my post a little bit, the tires without air in them literally fall off the rim that was even before I went tubeless with a DH tube in there. So shouldn’t make much difference how hard they are to get on or off the rim once seated they should stay there. To help them seat you could fold them inside out and leave for a hour.

I couldn’t pump them up without stans but was fine with stans guess it needed that little bit extra to get it to seat.

I’ve since ridden about 200k on them, 2 weeks of riding (24hour ride on the weekend) and given them a bit of a pounding on Rocky decent no holes or tears just yet. Got one last rock garden to pound them on then I’ll have 100% confidence in them.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Donk – thanks for the input, its always good to hear the negatives too.

I have a pretty serious XC race background and so I think/hope I am not too hard on tyres and I believe I ride pretty light over rocks and roots etc.

I am thinking of this set up for events like SITS and other enduro’s – but I am concious that reliability is probably more important during events, as it is more annoying to loose time when its against the clock than when just out with mates. Its this old reliability vs. performance issue again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless rims, non UST tyres, and loads of sealant!’ is closed to new replies.