Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless – Rim Strip Or rim Tape?
  • spicer
    Free Member

Which is the right one to use? 😕

Pacenti TL28 rims from a superstar build.

They have a rim strip (already joined, the type you just sling over the rim) in already (came with the rims from superstar), but it seems most people use the stans rim tape?

Is one better than the other? Am I supposed to use both? Does using the rim tape explain the slight leaking I’ve been having in my rear (wheel)?

thanks

Northwind

Pacenti are designed for tubeless, so tape only. They come with rim strips in case you want to run tubed but you have to remove that for tubeless.

fizik
    Free Member

I just use a layer of gorilla tape, seems easier than rim tape, more pliable and cheaper, its basically a 1 inch wide roll of gaffer tape. I use 2 layers if the tyre is a bit loose. I used this on my pacentis.

spicer
    Free Member

Ah, ok, thanks.
    Have been running tubeless on the rear and the strip has bulged quite a lot through the spoke holes. Figured I’d check whilst I’m changing tyres.

How much tape? 1 layer…. a few layers? Many layers? (I’ll use the proper tape rather than gorilla tape…)

Also, the rims are 23mm internal width. Does the tape have to match this? Is 21mm tape ok?

slackman99
    Free Member

If you can find the correct sized Bontrager rim strip to fit the rim, then I think they are fantastic compared to tape as the bead seals to the edge of the rim strip to seems to seal easier.

fizik
    Free Member

I would argue that gorilla tape is much better than the ‘proper’ tape given how pliable and sticky it is, which is what you want really, also given its in the right width for your wheel once its stuck into the profile of the inner rim but whatever, have used stans and superstar tape before as well. I got sick of using the others so took a load of recommendations off the internet, went down to homebase, bought a roll for 2.50 and have had no problems since. 1 layer if your tyres are new and fairly tight, 2 if they are a bit waffy in the sidewall or a bit loose on the bead. Mine has lasted 6 months and I don’t expect it to fail despite a few dinks in my rim (pacentis are a bit soft so once tubeless don’t get carried away with low pressures)

spicer
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, i’ll have a look at the gorilla tape too.
    Yep, just straightened several dings out of mine already- no low pressures round here!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I used gorilla tape following posting the same question a few weeks ago, used 25mm tape on 23mm inner rim width, been airtight since and no problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Rim Strip Or rim Tape?’ is closed to new replies.