Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless repair tool with closed end – where from?
  • Dekerf853

On holiday last week with Basque MTB (fantastic by way). We had a problem with a tubeless tyre. The guide had a repair tool with a closed end (like a sewing needle). He threaded a little strip of inner tube through the tool, pushed it through the hole, twisted, and pulled the strip out again so doubling it up. Simple!
    Where can I find such a tool? All the ones I can find have an open end, designed to be used with an ‘anchovy’, so you can push the strip in, but can’t pull it out again to double up.
    Any ideas?

scaled
    Free Member

You want one of these.

https://www.evanscycles.com/weldtite-tubeless-patch-kit-00103371

Edit: Maybe not having read your post properly.

Dekerf853

Scaled, yes, I have that kit, but that tool is open. I want one with a closed end.
    The guide said that those ‘anchovy’ things are great for bigger holes, but for very small ones, a doubled-up strip of inner tube is better.

househusband

How would you remove the tool without removing the inner tube strip of the tool is closed?

I’m a big fan of the Weldtite kit and have always cut the sticky string bits into smaller lengths.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hh, pull the tool back out, doubling the stuffage and then cut it free.

Kahurangi

No benefit over the weldtite one then, where pushing it in doubles it up?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I had a panaracer kit years ago that was as you’ve described

Edit, it was the same as this one

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=4895

Can’t tell.from the picture if the tool is closed, but the patch is still like an old school puncture repair sheet I.e. like inner tube so it probably is

deadkenny
    Free Member

Panaracer kit has a hole in the end of the needle tool, but I’ve never been able to thread the patch through it as it’s quite thick even when cut down.

Used it once punching the patch through which kept sticking a hole in the patch strip, but with the glue and sealant it held. Messy job.

I’m almost certainly not doing it right. Instructions are useless but the diagram shows it threading in and then pull back out to double it. Could never get that to work. Someone else recommended it highly and said it was easy.

The benefit of Weldite is you get a large sheet of patch material and just cut what you want.

If it’s non trail side fix or you don’t mind taking the tyre off the rim on the trail (depends if you can get the tyre seated again), I’d go with a boot patch inside. A number of “tubeless” kits for this or you can probably use a peel and stick style tube repair patch as the kit I’ve got basically is the same stuff.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Been in the same situation when pinch flatting tyres while out with Basque MTB. I found the smaller innertube strips didn’t hold air properly and would blow out later on in the day. Making the hole a little bigger so it could fit the weldtite one was more reliable in my experience.

Stoner
    Free Member

Jon Taylor
    It doubles up doubling up. So you get 4x lengths of anchovy in the hole rather than 2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless repair tool with closed end – where from?’ is closed to new replies.