Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless reducing rolling resistance?
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Could someone explain to me how this works? Along with any other advantages i might not know.
    I cant get my head around it, and want some justification before i buy stan's stuff 🙂

James

wwaswas

do they?

I thought you coudl get more grip running at lower pressures but that would surely increase rolling resistance?

neil853
    Free Member

thats what i've found, more grip but seems harder work 🙄

scruff
    Free Member

There is less rolling resistance as a standard tube / tyre has friction between them, without the tube this friction doesnt occur, so it rolls faster.

But seriously, who cares ? Its all about pulling out big thorns and spending more on tyres than you really ought to.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive found my ust tyres accelerate just as quickly as my standard tyres.

gingerflash

The reduced rolling resistance was the biggest difference I noticed.

I went from 2.4 Supersonic Mountain Kings with tubes to the same tyres without tubes and the difference was very noticeable.

Even my very grippy Rubber Queens seem to roll very quickly compared to most tubed tyres I've used.

I use about 25psi.

I think UST tyres would not roll as well because of the thicker carcass.

DM52
    Free Member

you could explain "Tubeless reducing rolling resistance?" by arguing to gain the equivalent amount of 'tubed' grip you are running at a slightly higher pressure and therefore reduce the rolling resistance.

scaredypants

But seriously, who cares ? Its all about pulling out big thorns and spending more on tyres than you really ought to

amen 🙂

edit: I'm pretty sure somebody has "shown" that RR is lower at lower pressures and maybe even wider tyres (haven't they?)

MrSmith
    Free Member

the easier deformation of the carcass helps the tyre mould itself to the ground which reduces friction

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Presumably the tyre can deform easier for a given pressure.

Hence if you are riding off road and hit a bump, stone twig or whatever the tyre will deform easier. Therefore you will continue moving forward rather than move slightly up and over the object.

The tubeless tyre proponents will claim this will be a greater energy saving energy lost from the increase in friction the tyre deformation will cause.

Basically the same argument as the one that was on a few weeks ago saying larger low pressure tyres were quicker off road than skinny high pressure tyres. (which is obviously true to an extent or we'd all be using road wheels/tyres off road)

Obviously this all depends on exactly what terrain you encounter and exactly where the sweet spot will be for that type of terrain.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

The theory behind a reduction in rolling resistance comes from the inertial mass change during deformation. Assuming the tyre wall are a comparable thickness and weight to normal tyres (not entirely true). You energy you put in to rolling the tyre come from hysteresis losses in changing the air pressure and the energy loss in deforming the tyre and tube. If there is less material deforming (an assumption) then technically you expend less energy in rolling.

Si C

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Way less rolling resistance at the same given tyre pressures yes.

This is due to having to move less material about during tyre deformation.

13thfloormonk

I am 100% certain they do reduce rolling resistance.

I compare it to running a set of suspension forks, tubeless tyres are like suspension forks with slightly less damping, i.e. they will move the same amount for a given bump but will move quicker and easier, robbing you of less speed.

For me this has been the biggest plus to going tubeless, as there don't seem to be many thorns around where I live.

tinsy
    Free Member

There is a massive load of bumf on it on the shwalbe website as to why a large volume low pressure tyre rolls better offroad than a skinnier hard tyre.. its kind of what scu98rkr said…

There must of course be a crossover point in terrain as to whats fastest overall a hard skinny tyre or a big soft tyre.

Here you go.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

WackoAK
    Free Member

schwalbe link here

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

less rolling resistance and lower pressure with greater grip – no idea why it works but it does. Keep life simple dont ask too many questions.

gingerflash

I don't ride in a thorny area either, but riding rocks at 25psi without pinch-flats is ace.

Northwind

I can't tell any difference at all, with the same pressures anyway. A difference in weight, sure, but not rolling resistance.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless reducing rolling resistance?’ is closed to new replies.