Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless Ready – Eh?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Anybody know the difference between the Schwalbe UST’s and their new Non UST which are Tubeless Ready tyres? I understand UST is the Mavic standard and are heavier but are there any downsides to the tubeless ready ones?

D0NK

TR supposedly easier for non UST tubeless, should be negligable difference if you run tubes (ie don’t have the weight penalty of UST)

pedalhead
    Free Member

probably down to carcass thickness…UST won’t technically require sealant whereas tubeless ready will have the UST bead but thinner sidewalls that require sealant to be airtight.

Skyliner
    Free Member

I’m looking to mount ‘tubeless ready’ on stans with yellow tape and sealant. Just dont want to pay extra for UST and have the extra weight, at the same time I dont want it to all end horribly! 😆 Do you think this combination sounds ok?

D0NK

TR is aimed at what you want to do so yeah go for it.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Correct.

Tubeless = needs UST tubeless wheels
    Tubeless ready = works with Stans etc

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Took me many days, and curses to seal a set of “tubeless ready” Conti X-Kings Race Sports. Not sure if schwalbe will be the same but sidewalls were VERY leaky, and weren’t the easiest to get the beads to seal.

Ended up scuffing the insides with a plastic brillo pad, then mounting them with tubes for a couple of days, (they were a lot easier to seat and seal then), Adding ALOT (ilke 400mls) of stans to each wheel. Sloshing it round and leaving on a bucket over night, alternating sides. Bath check after first night had it down to a couple of pin pricks. Another night had them 100% sealed.

Used the Stans syringe to remove all the sealant leaving a dribble behind (basically the bit that wouldn’t syphon out) and have ridden on them for a good 200 miles with zero problems.

Shaved a good 600 gms off the previous set of Panaracer UST’s that were fitted.

mboy
    Free Member

EH?

They’ll each work with each other, just some setups are easier to get working in the first place than others.

probably down to carcass thickness…UST won’t technically require sealant whereas tubeless ready will have the UST bead but thinner sidewalls that require sealant to be airtight.

Correct. I’ve got a Schwalbe Fat Albert with the new tubeless ready carcass on the back of my Maverick, it’s got the tighter beads of a UST tyre but the carcass isn’t quite as thick, and it needs sealant to make it work (sealant to be reccomended for use even in full UST setup IMO).

I’m looking to mount ‘tubeless ready’ on stans with yellow tape and sealant. Just dont want to pay extra for UST and have the extra weight, at the same time I dont want it to all end horribly! Do you think this combination sounds ok?

You’ll be fine… Only thing I would say is the Schwalbe I’ve got wasn’t the easiest tyre to inflate in the first place, certainly not compared to a Michelin UST tyre anyway. Might need a good heave ho on the track pump before it seats, but it’s not as loose as non “tubeless” tyres.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Excellent Cheers!

daveb
    Free Member

I have some of the tubeless ready NNs, not the easiest to get on but once on very easy to inflate and dont need as much sealant as the old non UST NNs to stay up.

I had to change one recently and it was a bit of a faff to get off but much easier than UST. Would recommend over UST unless you dont care about a big weight penalty for not a lot of gain puncture resistant wise (IMO)

pixelmix
    Free Member

EH?

They’ll each work with each other, just some setups are easier to get working in the first place than others.

Okay, maybe I could have worded it better. The intended use of the Schwalbe “Tubeless” tyres is for UST rims, and the intended use for the “Tubeless Ready” tyres is with tubes, or tubeless setups with sealant.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Ready – Eh?’ is closed to new replies.