Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • tubeless question
  • juan
    Free Member

Hello I have a question. A friend of mine have bought some tubeless tyres. Now apparently it’s going to be unlucky me that will have to fit it for her. It’s been about 10 years that I haven’t fitted a tubeless tyre. And back in the days no stan milk was available. So do I put the milk before or after I pop in the tyre? And if it’s before do I still use soapy water to help them pop.

RealMan
    Free Member

Put the tyre on with a tube, pump up fairly hard, say around 40psi will do. Go have a cup of tea and a chat.

Come back, deflate tube and take it out, put in valve/rimstrip whatever you need. Put tyre back on if you took it off to do that, then pump it up.

If you can get it to inflate – usually it will be pretty easy with a track pump – then you’re sorted. Deflate, pop off a little bit of the tyre, enough to pour some sealant in, do so, pop the tyre back on, and pump up, and you’re all done.

If you can’t get it to inflate, try soapy water, compressors, swearing, etc. I’ve never had to bother. Decent track pump and good technique is where it’s at.

scottidog
    Free Member

You can pop the milk in before or after you seat the tyre.

I tend to do it after it’s seated as I’m ham fisted and likely to spill the sealant all over the place if it’s in there whilst I’m trying to get the tyre on. Just inflate the tyre till it pops, then pull a small section of the tyre off the rim to pour the sealant in and pump it up again.

Soapy water always helps but I still seem to make a meal of it. Best to use a compressor if you can get access to one, or some CO2 cannister unless you are a daemon with the track pump. Good luck!

juan
    Free Member

Thanks

Northwind

I fit it, slightly unbead one side, then add sealant- just because occasionally a badtempered tyre won’t fit up easily and needs the inner tube trick, and it’s much quicker to do that if it’s not already full of sealant.

spooky_b329

If you plan to use CO2, use it first, deflate, and then add the sealant. Stans does not play well with CO2, just makes all the clotting bits ball up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.