• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jim.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tubeless problem (sorry)
  • kendo954
    Free Member

Got some pro’2 on 819 rims last week.

Not got the cash for ust tyres at the mo, so got some stans fluid and stuck it in a panaracer xc fire on the front and it inflated and popped onto the rim…held pressure and survived a quick ride so all good.

the back (same rim/tyre set up) will not go on at all, used the tube in, inflate, leave it overnight, break 1 bead remove tube add stans etc and inflate, it just wont go up, tyre bead seems to be sitting in the middle of the rim and not pushing out to the rim so wont take air at all… I take it just wont work at all? (tyre is the same age as the front – 6/7 rides old just)

ratherbeintobago

What’re you using to seat the tyre with? If it’s playing the silly arse, have you tried lots (and I mean lots) of soapy water (make it up much stronger than you’d use for the dishes) and a compressor/garage air line?

CO2 cartridges also work for seating but the CO2 is meant to react with the sealant so isn’t recommended. Doesn’t mean I’ve not done it, of course…

Andy

stimpy
    Free Member

Have you tried the usual solutions:

1) Soapy water?
    2) Strap around the tyre?
    3) Air compressor/ghetto compressor?

Usually #1 for me; if not then #3 guaranteed success, every time.

How-to vids available everywhere on t’internet.

EDIT – dammit not quick enough!

kendo954
    Free Member

yeah tried the compressor in a garage

the strap could be an option as the open bead just is not in contact with the rim, if i push down on it it just lets air out at the opposite side!

soap wont help as the tyre dosnt touch the rim?

neninja
    Free Member

Every problem tyre I’ve tried recently has gone up with a track pump.

1. Soapy water around unseated bead
    2. Stretch inner tube around the outside of the tyre
    3. Move the unseated bead out to towards the bead hook.
    4. Pump like crazy (if it’s really stubborn an extra pair of hands helps to ensure the bead is pulled out to the edges and to push down on it wherever there is a gap)

Nobby

I seem to recall reading a while back that Panaracer non-UST tyres were a PITA to get sealed/sorted – in fact, I think they were on the “avoid” list on the Stan’s website back then.

A tip I was given by my LBS years ago was to heat a stubborn tyre in a bucket of hot water for 10 mins before fitting – it makes it more supple.

kendo954
    Free Member

Nope had another go there and all has failed 🙁

Tube it is for today’s ride.

Knew the front 1 was far to easy FFS

scaled
    Free Member

I can only advise on my 719s + rim strip but it seems that whacking the tyre all the way round was the key for me, that was with 2.35 high rollers.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Panaracers are infamous for being very difficult to use in a ghetto tubeless setup.

My advice, as always, is not to fanny around with tubeless – go for a bona-fide setup or don’t bother.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Build one of these Ghetto coke bottle inflater jobbies and you’ll never struggle to seat tyres again. They’re amazing.

kendo954
    Free Member

Stevo – u could be right, ordering the ust xc fire for the rear, should do the job and hopefully the front stays seated in the mean time.

Like these tyres on the hardtail as they are good for most things as its gets all sort if terrain during the winter, from roads to proper sludge in 1 run!

theendisnigh
    Free Member

are you removing the core of the valve? That seems to help maximise flow. Once seated you then reinflate with the core.

Also I use neat washing up liquid when I can’t get it going and that has never failed to instantly inflate a tyre. Diluted with water is no where near as effective ime.

kendo954
    Free Member

Not removing the core, but I just don’t think this tyre will seat no matter what I try. With 1 bead seated the other is not in contact with the rim almost anywhere so I can’t see it ever getting to the right place to take air in and keep it in.

Ordered a rear ust so that should be that sorted.

I’ll maybe try the conversion on the 6″ bike at some point, looks like dtswiss and minions arnt a total pain to set up.

logical
    Free Member

Someone has to..

grievoustim
    Free Member

I had this problem on crests and a NN – that I had previously seated and run tubeless no problem.

It was quite an old tyre, being swapped from one wheel to the other. I think the bead had got stretched and saggy.

I gave up in the end and used a different tyre – but the idea above of stretching an inner tube around the outside of the tyre sounds like a good one. I will try that if I have the same problem again

Northwind

Have you tried just pulling it onto the rim’s bead (starting at the valve?) Easier with a compressor than a trackpump this obviously but if you can get it started with a little gruntwork the rest is usually easier.

mysterymove
    Free Member

run a tyre lever round the wheel pulling the bead into the bead hook sorted me out…

kendo954
    Free Member

northwind – yeah tried that, bead on the tyre is just far to loose

jim
    Free Member

Remarkably it’s worth following the instructions here:

http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx

FWIW I find both Bontrager TLR and Specialized 2Bliss tyres work well with sealant and go up with a track pump, at least on Stans rims.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tubeless problem (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.