Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tubeless – Pro II / Stans Flow – Mini review.
  • neilforrow

Got these from RM at wheelpro. Wasn't convinced about the strength of the flows… but decided to give them a go…

Got a set of proii’s / stans flow rims for the dh bike. (a 20mm / 12 x 150mm setup) got them the week I went out to cham.

Spent 2 weeks on them, riding some technical and rough tracks in Chamonix and other resorts including, including Vallorcine, Pila (in italy), Les Arc, Tignes and Les Gets. Got to grips with tubeless, luckily we had a compressor onboard so inflation took seconds. I ran non UST tyres with some stans tire sealant. Never burped during the trip and never got a puncture.

Even running low pressures (25psi) which provided superb grip over the root gardens on the Col du Possetts and the rocks of the Lavencher bowl (turn left) trail, I didn’t ding or dent the rims… and the wheels stayed true and tight… even with some big hits at speed.

Cant recommend these rim enough. I have always been a mavic fan.. I still run mavics on my xc bike (321's).. but when those rims go .. I will be swapping them out for stans.

Thanks to RM for a great set of wheels.. and 1st class service.

Neil.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have recently been a convert too …

running xc sp3 with stans 355 and non tubeless rocket ron evo3 carcasses set up tubeless… (the 400 gram flypaper ones)

ragged hell out of them on the selkirk merida and the glentress rockfest (black) and local riding at the sidlaws.

Love em , i went from 3/4 pinch flats a week (partially down to the old rims being super narror) to running low pressures on these ! and they are light to boot

The hope builds were a bit wonky but A.im Pernickety and B it only took 10 mins with a spoke key to bring them into +/- 0.5mm ish from the +/- 3mm they are built to

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what tyres did you run OP?

neilforrow

Maxxis f + r

Minion 60a 2.5 up front (non UST)
    High roller 2.35 supertacky rear (non UST)

The rear was shagged after 2 weeks, and has been binned.. but still no punctures.

the_lecht_rocks

wow – excellent info – thanks 😀

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cool – no rim strips, just tape?

Stu

Also a fan, running 355's on XC3-SP3's like trail_rat, from Wheelpro, with the tape and tubeless valve RM fitted. Running Snakeskin nobby nics and ralphs on them for couple of months now with no punctures or problems (this includes SXC at Fort Bill, 10 @ Kirrougtree and the National champs at Inners).

Also sealed first time using a crap track pump, so all good!

swoosh
    Free Member

trail_rat – how do you find the rocket ron's behave on rocky terrain? currently running Nobby Nics but they will need replacing soon and was going to go tubeless on 355s so would be really interested in the rocket rons if they are any good for rocks i.e. Peaks and Lakes.

neilforrow

ROFL yep, just the supplied tape and valves.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i was knowing i was to be riding rocks i wouldnt buy the rocket rons.

I just happened to have them on after the merida on sunday when i rode glentress black which is a rock fest (turning more into natural cairngorm like riding every time i do it ) and they coped fine. But with tubes they are gash on rocks , too delicate. Perhaps a UST snake skin walled pair would fair better there.

scoobmw
    Free Member

i have recently been a convert too …
    running xc sp3 with stans 355 and non tubeless rocket ron evo3 carcasses set up tubeless… (the 400 gram flypaper ones)
    ragged hell out of them on the selkirk merida and the glentress rockfest (black) and local riding at the sidlaws.
    Love em , i went from 3/4 pinch flats a week (partially down to the old rims being super narror) to running low pressures on these ! and they are light to boot
    The hope builds were a bit wonky but A.im Pernickety and B it only took 10 mins with a spoke key to bring them into +/- 0.5mm ish from the +/- 3mm they are built to

I'm doing exactly this for a trip to 10 under the ben in a fortnight. So how have the Rocket Rons continued to perform over the last wee while ? Still good, no explosions?
    Interested in the comment about being true. That's a worry. How did you fix that then. I get the spoke key but do you have a full wheel truing rig to do that or can an amateur do it?

guitarhero
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, my month old Flow rim folded like a starched shirt after puncturing on a rocky DH.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Pro II / Stans Flow – Mini review.’ is closed to new replies.