Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tubeless options and advice please
  • twonks

Currently use Michelin XLS Kevlar tyres on my SC Superlight, and whilst they are good for grip and weight, they suffer a fair bit with punctures.

After a rear wheel flat this morning in the snow and ice, I have decided I’d like to go to a self sealing tubeless design, but not sure on what is the best approach.

The wheels are currently Hope Sport and Ti rear hubs with old school Mavic 317 disc only rims.

I like the wheels as they are as they have stood up well to years of abuse and I love the clickyness of the rear hub, however what are peoples thoughts on going tubeless as it were?

Can I use something like Stans with my current setup (using the correct tyres of course), or is it time to invest in a better set of wheels to give me a light yet strong performance.

Assuming a top budget of around £400 for a wheelset if I went that way. Ideally less and wouldn’t say no to replacing the rims and having the Hope hubs rebuilt with whatever is needed.

Would like thoughts on tyres too. Riding is a mix but mainly singletrack and forest trails.

I do weigh around 85Kg, and whilst not especially heavy on components there is a bit of mass there to accomodate.

Peoples views and opinions are appreciated :o)

MrNutt
    Free Member

Mavic UST & Maxxis LUST

giantjason
    Free Member

i have just got some hope pro II hubs on mavic 819 ust rims with Maxxis LUST tyres and can say that so far have been impressed……all for around £300.

i thought about going with normal rims and using Stans but this appeared too much hassle.

if your hubs are in good condition and have been regularily serviced i would just get new rims and get the wheels built.

takisawa2

Normal X719’s here on Pro2’s, with bog standard Michellin All-Mountain DTC tyres. (The gay grey coloured ones)
    Did THIS low-cost tubeless conversion a few weeks ago.
    Took about 20 mins per wheel.
    You need a track pump (£11.98 from Asda).
    Tip: Press the tyre onto the rim around the valve to effect a seal when inflating. Once you’ve got a bit in they start to seal. Having a helper to pump while you manipulate the tyre would be a good idea.

Had a few rides now & am running about 5psi less with more grip. Despite a serious pinch-flat-rock-fest in Derbyshire 2 weeks ago they are still up. Havent lost any pressure at all. I tested one by stabbing with a dart & it sealed straight away. Happy with mine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless options and advice please’ is closed to new replies.