Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless – Leak starting mid ride
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

After initial teething troubles on the croix de fer have all been sorted with the skinny 40c tyres. I feel like I’ve learned the basics for going tubeless and thought I’d give it a go on the zesty with chunkier tyres.

More issues it seems. I’ve re-taped once already as I can’t see any milk coming through at the rim or tyre. My thinking is that the only other way out is through the tape.

My confusion lies in that everything seemed good for a week or so and a ride or two, but then part way through a ride yesterday the back started leaking slowly again.

Is it possible that while playing about the rims are flexing and breaking the tape seal?

Other ideas?

weeksy

i’ve had a lot of messing about recently and the best fix i’ve found is some rubber glue around the valve/hole. It seems to have fixed any leaking i’ve had 100% first time every time. Just seems to be a little bit that escapes somewhere/somehow around that area.

rickmeister

What weeks said.. some tubeless valves have a small O ring under the knurled screw thing that tightens the valve to the rim bed. Is that fitted and snugged up? Is there a hissing if you wiggle the valve stem?

weeksy

I stick mine in the bath, it’s shown it’s leaking from the hole, whether it’s actually the hole, the valve join or the taping, i’m not 100%, but a bit of rubber glue/patch glue seems to resolve it either way.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    I’ll have a look at the valve again tonight. I do use an it of ptfe, but looks like rubber glue is the next step

LittleNose
    Free Member

Couldn’t find any rubber glue in the local shop, but a littel ptfe tape and more stans milk in there and seems to be holding pressure again.

Thanks again for the input guys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Leak starting mid ride’ is closed to new replies.