Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless issues
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I’ve got new roval 31mm 29er rims with bliss ready setup and ground control bliss tyres. Using stans fluid they won’t stay up more than 4 days .I’ve done the bath water test with no bubbles so I’m stumped. Any advice would be appreciated as it’s driving me nuts !!

Tracey

Theres a Stans youtube video where thy put the wheels for ten minutes each side on a bucket. Works for me when I have had a tyre not staying up. Thats assuming you have enough fluid in them

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks Tracey I will give it a go .

rhayter

Sounds like you’re losing air through the sidewalls. Try ‘painting’ the inside of your tyre with Stan’s using a scrubbing brush. Don’t be shy; you’re filling the microscopic holes in the sidewalls with fluid. You’ll only have to do it once. I had the same problem in some Nobby Nics.

Also, is your valve seated properly?

Try pumping up your tyres to the max as noted on the sidewalls and going for a 10 minute road ride. That will distribute the Stan’s around the wheel better than anything else.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it once for an hours off road ride thinking it would sort it but it didn’t. I need some more fluid and I will try the painting and leaving it on its side as well. Surely being a bliss setup it should of been simple . ?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ok

1. Check the valve has a rubber grommet under the ring that holds it to the wheel.
    2. Put plenty of stans in and swing the tyre around to paint the insides. I use double.
    3. Pump to 40 psi, should hear it crack into position. Leave over night again after some swinging of the tyre to get the rim covered. Then deflate to 20psi and go ride 😀

Should stay up.

Tracey

All our tyres are Specialized Purgatory/Butcher controls, had the same problem with the pourous sidewalls. Have the correct pressure in the tyre that you run them at. Stans tip has worked on each one. Dont try to rush it. Put it on its side and walk away.

devash
    Free Member

The Specialized 2bliss instruction sheet does actually mention the porous sidewalls.

http://www.specialized.com/media/whatsnew/IG0290_revA.pdf

“Sealant leaking out of sidewall (Fig. 11, left-side magnification): This is a natural occurrence. 2Bliss Ready tires are not UST tires; the sidewalls
    are permeable and the sealant seeps out of the sidewall as it seals the natural permeability of the lightweight 2Bliss Ready casing. Allow the sealant
    to seal the tire, then wipe the excess with a rag. If you continue to see leaks, rotate to the affected area and shake the sealant around. This can take a
    few minutes but will eventually seal up.”

“FINAL SEALING STEPS
    Skip this step if you are installing a UST tire onto a UST rim.
    ? Inflate the tire to 65 PSI, then go on a short ride to work the sealant into the casing. Carry a pump in case it loses air while you are riding. It’s a
    good idea to complete your first “setup” ride near home, or on a short trail where you have easy access to your vehicle in case you have any issues.”

(65psi seems incredibly high. I think Stans recommends 40psi max.)

I haven’t had the sidewall problem using the Specialized “Grid” casing tyres I’m running so it might just be the Control casings that need extra TLC.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Well they are currently laying flat with loads of stans in. Fingers crossed and thanks for all the advice.

austy
    Free Member

Had some purgatory control tyres and had exactly the same problem never kept air in for very long.
    When I finally took them off the rear had been flexing and the carcass had worn through.
    Replaced with some with the grid casing, zero sealant to see and they were still inflated several days later.

I’ll never be going back to the control casings.

Northwind

TBH it’s fairly normal for a ride or two, for tyres to go down as they bed in, seal up etc. If you’ve only ridden it once, and it takes days to go down, just reinflate and ride a couple of times, chances are it’ll sort it without you having to do anything.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless issues’ is closed to new replies.