Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless issues…
  • hairymechanic
    Free Member

Has anyone had problems fitting Schwalbe tyres to Dt Swiss rims?

I've got 2.25 UST Nobby Nics and DT 5.1 rims and they are unbelievably tight! So tight in fact I'm thinking of going back to tubes! Anyone know if they fit onto mavic rims any easier?

M6TTF
    Free Member

How will tubes make them any slacker? Just give them a good old stretch

ojom
    Free Member

They are tight. It's not just you.

Give it some more MAN and see what happens.

mboy
    Free Member

Your problem is the DT5.1 rims

They are a NIGHTMARE!

I've got strong thumbs from years of messing about with tight fitting tyres, so much so that I can get UST tyres on and off a UST rim without tyre levers even usually. Could I get a UST tyre onto a DT5.1 with a tubeless rimstrip on at all? I gave up after nearly an hour, 3 broken tyre levers, and lots of missing skin from my thumbs. Put some inner tubes in for the ride the next day, then ordered some Mavic rims and delaced the DT's to sell the bloody horrid things on ASAP…

allthegear
    Free Member

Sorry, but I have to agree with mboy – I had some Hope Hoops that had DT5.1s and I have recently removed the rims and swapped them for 819s. Much easier to deal with – no rimstips to de-glue and move around, no trouble getting tyres on an off – even I can mount Nobby Nics by hand…

Rachel

naokfreek
    Free Member

My ghetto high roller 5.1 set up is/was a sinch to set up really, wire bead was a bit tougher to seat than the kevlar bead but all good. There is a nack to getting tyres on and off 5.1s easily, once you've got it it's a piece of cake.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got dt5.1 rims and tried with dt strips and schwalbe tyres but couldnt get them to work. Did the bmx tube ghetto method yesterday and worked straight away with a track pump too 🙂 as for tyres been tight i snapped lots of levers and even bent metal ones so got some pedros ones they now go on and off really easy

naokfreek
    Free Member

pedros

+1

naokfreek
    Free Member

But….my rims do have loads of scratches from 3 years of gaining the nack…black magic marker sorts that out.

br
    Free Member

but since you are tubeless, just use levers

hairymechanic
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

I've worked in bike shops and dealt with my fair share of tight fitting tyres but these are taking the p**s.

They are now on but I think the rims will be getting swapped for something else. Had Conti mountain kings on and they were tight too but nothing compared to the nobby nics. Also have many tyre lever marks!

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless issues…’ is closed to new replies.