Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tubeless (Fat bike content)
  • lunar
    Free Member

Just ordered a Cube Nutrail Pro with Answer Fat Atac wheel set which are tubeless ready. Planning to convert to tubeless – anyone done this and if so can you let me know what valves you used to suit the rim profile.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done my on-one rims with a split innertube, so whatever valve was in there, before that I did it with just any old valve cut from a tube.

I’ve never actually bought tubeless valves as they frequently cost more than tubes!

NormalMan

Lots of videos on YouTube for the split inner tube set up. Coastkid does a really good one.

It’ll be my next step if the sealant in the inner tubes ever started to let me down.*

*pun may or may not have been intended 😉

rOcKeTdOg

any tubeless valve should work, get some electrical tape the same width as the rim, couple of wraps, add air to seat, add sealant down the valve. sorted*

*swearing and sweating removed as it’s before the watershed

zippykona

Should the split tube be visible once the tyre is on ?
    On my front tyre you can’t see it and it burps and loses a precious psi. The back is visible and fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I left mine un-trimmed so it sticks out about 4mm each side, I figured it would make re-seating easier if it ever comes off.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve had real problems trying to get on one rims up tubeless and need foam inserts. Br710 rims are excellent as have a much better seat for the bead.

Found gorilla or duck tape leaked and absorbed the sealant – so ordered fatty strippers from the US and that worked a treat

kayak23

[video]http://youtu.be/TboKhjTAgQo[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had real problems trying to get on one rims up tubeless and need foam inserts.

Yea, I’ve got the same rims, strips cut from a camping mat weigh bugger all and do the job just fine. Got a compressor now though to tempted to try some fatty strippers and no foam.

takisawa2

The foam just stops the tyre bead from dropping into the trough, where there’s no chance of it holding any air.
    You could try a ratchet strip around the centre, it flattens the tyre so the bead can sit where it will hold air until you get it fully inflated.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – it looks like that wheelset uses Sun Mulefut 80 rims (Answer and Sun are both owned by Hayes, same for Wheelsmith spokes). I have a set of those on my Fatty, and they are fantastic. Put all of that ghetto tubeless crap away; the rims have a beadlock and are made to run tubeless with just a rim strip to cover the cutouts and wrap of tape to seal things up.

SunRingle has tape – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/sun-ringle-tubeless-conversion-tape/rp-prod132907 or you can use something else if you choose.

Here’s the rim itself with tubeless video – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/sun-ringle-tubeless-conversion-tape/rp-prod132907

The beadlock is fantastic; easy to seat the tires, but need to step in the tire sidewall to remove it!

Daffy

I just used. tesla tape just like any other tubeless setup, but at 50mm width. Worked fine with a stand valve.

pacerc100
    Free Member

Like JoeG said. My Mulefuts have a cut down rim strip so it doesnt go right to the edge of the rim and then a wrap of superwide gorilla tape. Add some cheap Roval/Specialized valves, about £3 each, and all good. The hardest part I found was getting the tyre of the rim to do the conversion. eBay for the wide gorrilla tape if you get stuck (no pun intended !).

rickmeister

The tyrelever / bead seating trick works really well on fat bike tyres. Use some soapy water or silicon spray and as long as all the holes are sealed in the rim, it will pop up a treat.

Superstar do good tubeless valves with a conical rubber seat and make a very good seal.

lunar
    Free Member

JoeG – could you take a look at your second link and re-post; its linking t the same product as your first link and not the video. Cheers

JoeG
    Free Member

lunar – Member

JoeG – could you take a look at your second link and re-post; its linking t the same product as your first link and not the video. Cheers
    Posted 13 hours ago # Report-Post

Sorry! 😳

https://sun-ringle.com/mtb/rims/mulefut-80sl/

luff
    Free Member

I’ve got the same bike, been tubeless for 6 months at as low as 4psi front and no punctures or problems (event landed on the front wheel over a gap)

Anyway, I have set up bikes tubeless before however I figured with the fat bike I’d take it to my LBS (Nirvana) as for the sake of £50 or so it was done. Don’t forget you’ll need to purchase an Airshot or have a compresser to set the tyre if you chose to do it yourself.

P.S great bikes

igm

Different rims (I have Nextie ones) so no comment on your set up, but tubeless on fat is superb. (On Nexties you can you a standard track pump – no need for airshot or compressor)
    I tend to run 6 psi front and 9 or 10 rear, but I’m 16st.

Tip. Get an accurate pressure gauge – telling the difference between 5 and 10 psi by squeezing is difficult, but it makes a huge difference to the ride.

dovebiker

IME getting the taping right and making sure you have a good bead fit is key – if you’ve got a slack bead fit and need a compressor / inflator what are you going to do on the trail? If you get a flat and the bead stays put, then a worm/anchovy is often all you need rather than the faff of dealing with a tube. I find PVC or PU tape to be far more effective than cloth-backed tape – it doesn’t come unstuck and is easier to apply.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got the same bike and set mine up tubeless, it was an absolute piece of cake. You do need a compressor though, I got a portable one from Aldi that’s the size of a shoebox and it works a treat.

For the tubeless conversion it was just a case of running the wide gorilla tape around the rim, with the strip that covers the holes left there. Started about 8 inches from the valve, and then finished about 8 inches past the valve to give a decent overlap. Added whatever tubeless valves I had laying around and it’s held up for 16 months now with no extra sealant needed.

It could probably do with a top up as I imagine it’s dried out a touch but I’ve not had a single puncture or problem with it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t forget you’ll need to purchase an Airshot or have a compresser to set the tyre if you chose to do it yourself.

IME getting the taping right and making sure you have a good bead fit is key – if you’ve got a slack bead fit and need a compressor / inflator what are you going to do on the trail?

That’s what the foam is for, a least when it’s fresh I can get it up with a hand pump.

I do have one of these in my pocket to try out at some point though, no idea if it will work.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the answer fat wheels are as light and roll as well as the previous mulefut 80’s that the cubes used to run?

Thanks Jim

tjagain

ratchet strap around the tyre worked for me with my fatbike wheels. The other thing that worked for me was using proper tubeless tape on the rim. Effing about with other stuff is a waste of time IME

rOcKeTdOg

Does anyone know if the answer fat wheels are as light and roll as well as the previous mulefut 80’s that the cubes used to run?

surely they only roll as well as the tyre you seat on then? a JJ rolls a lot better than a nate for example

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Yes using jjs does make a big difference, but so does the wheel weight itself which is why I am after knowing if the answer fat Wheelset is any heavier than the mulefuts 👍

mrpeaski
    Free Member

Answer and Sun Ringle are part of the Hayes Bicycle group so there’s a good chance they’re both the same rim at least

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless (Fat bike content)’ is closed to new replies.