Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tubeless CX question
  • zilog6128

I have some Mavic Open Pros on my CX bike (commuting/bimbling not racing). According the Stans website I need 2x loops of yellow tape + the CX rimstrips to convert these to tubeless. However it also says that, since the Open Pro isn’t a tubeless rim, I need to use a tubeless tyre which basically means Hutchinson Piranha/Bulldog (AFAIK). I’d rather use Schwalbe CX Comps because they’re way cheaper (and apparently the Hutch tyres do not last very long either) so my question is – possible or not?

zilog6128

bump for lunchtime crowd!

LS
    Free Member

You can use standard tyres, I’ve sealed up Vredesteins no problem and lots of people have done it with Mud 2s. I think the new Racing Ralph cx tyres are tubeless-ready?

smokey_jo

This link might help: http://www.cxmagazine.com/trying-tubeless-cyclocross-tires-setup-part-ii

If you do manage it with cx comps let us know how you go on. I got put off by the fact you can’t go higher than 60 psi without destroying the bead.

zilog6128

Thanks, that’s a very helpful link. Part iii of that series seems to suggest Schwalbes might be a no-go on non-Stans rims. They have a list of “successful” tyres though so from that list I have chosen Kenda Small Block Eights as being suitable for road & trail so I will give those a go!

smokey_jo

No problem, would be interested to know how the Kendas compare to the cx comps on the road when you’ve got them tubelessed.

clubber
    Free Member

I found SB8s really porous even though the CXMag lot reckoned they were a good choice.

For me I’ve found it a bit hit and miss – once you have a setup that works, it’s brilliant but it takes quite a lot of faff to get there – eg two identical wheels, tyres – one goes up and stays up, the other constantly leaks until further tweaking.

It’s worth it though – once reliable it’s so much better than tubes – for my riding at least which isn’t CX racing but includes plenty of rocks/etc that constantly caused pinches unless I ran my tyres at 85psi(!). I’m now on 50/60psi which is much better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Bonty cx0? Am I right in thinking they’re tubeless ready?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless CX question’ is closed to new replies.