Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tubeless CX ??? can it be done
  • lowey

So after a week or riding my new Genesis Croix de fer I’ve alread had 2 punctures. I use stand on my MTB wheels, can it be done with CX due to the higher pressures ? Anyone done it ?

Thanks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes it can DONK does it iirc

oliverracing

Yep, but not with the higher pressures, I run 33/35psi f/r and find that to be about right as long as you are loose on the bike. if you try and run higher than 45psi I found that the stans does next to nothing for larger cuts/holes, but seals up as soon as the pressure drops enough. Ar 35psi expect a few rim hits if doing proper offroad!

Edit: for reference I use vittoria XG pro tyres (non tnt version), stans CX rim strips (previously duct tape which worked but not as well) using a set of old campag zonda wheels (amazingly tough). I have only had 2 occasions in 2 years where a tube has been needed, one I got a 5mm long sidewall cut (suspected glass as was on road) and the another was when I blew the tyre of the rim doing a 2ft drop into a rock garden (accidentally).

simondbarnes

I run Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNTs on my cross bike on Stans Crest rims. Works well in that I no longer get pinch flats but I’ll probably end up killing the rims if I ride around Rivington too much with 30-40psi in the tyres.

D0NK

hmm seem to remember you aiming some friendly jibes my way when I was trying to sort this out lowey 😉

Stans crest/340 with conti Xkings kevlar bead works well, I run them 40f/45r any higher and I think you’re risking blowoff (as one kenda tyre did JRA) Not sure how you get on with less tubeless optimised rims. Did mount a vittoria XG on the standard alex rims with a rimstrip, wasn’t confident on it holding the bead and only inflated to about 38 shredded the tyre within a week – could just have been unlucky. If you have normal rims I’d get a rimstrip, see how your tyres fit, if baggy fit some insulation tape under the rimstrip. Once you’ve got a tight fit mount up pump to 40 or so and see how you get on. CX tyres tend to be a bit weedy compared to mtb so not as robust in the long run but better puncture rate than tubes.

…tho it has to be said if you can put up with the minimal tread and weight of land cruisers they are the way to go if you’re keeping tubes, cheap as chips too. Tempted to give em a go tubeless next winter (where I’ll mostly be sticking to looplines/eccles canal so shouldn’t be much mud)

lowey

friendly jibes my way when I was trying to sort this out lowey

Nonsense. You have only ever got full on support from me…. ahem.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I used Stans Iron Cross and 33c Maxxis Raze with my Croix de Fer – 35 psi.

Now using 40c WTB Nanos race which are great but might not fit in the cdf.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve done it for a few years now as I was running 85psi to avoid pinch flats.

I got it working ok with a rim strip and a non-tubeless rim but it did blow from time to time. I eventually bit the bullet with a stans (Arch EX so overkill for CX) rim and it’s been faultless. I’ve lost count of the number of punctures that have sealed themselves and no doubt I’ve avoided loads of pinch flats. I use about 40-50psi though with stans CX tyres I have run up to 60psi.

I’d certainly never go back to tubes.

(FYI, off road riding rather than CX racing)

cookeaa

Can it be done? Apparently so:

[video]https://youtu.be/NB3Zej_9cVg[/video]

BadlyWiredDog

I run Bontrager CX0s tubeless on Crest 29ers both the standard ones and the TR version. Pressures up to an indicated 60psi on my shock pump, though I think it may read a little on the low side of reality, so probably not quite that high. Works for me.

P20

I’m interested in the idea, but I’ve always been put off by the low pressures people are quoting of around 45psi. I run my tubed set up at 65-70psi. Softer and I can feel the rim striking. What pressures were people running before going tubeless?

oliverracing

I ran about 55psi tubed and even found that too hard with a lack of grip, but did still occasionally get pinch flats. Now I’m happy with 35psi tubeless for most off road riding, but run at about 40psi for trail centers and as low as 28psi at CX races.

As for rim strikes – you learn to bunny hop rocks and hang loose over the bike pretty quickly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

wtb nano race 40c.. Which are more like 38c work if they will clear your frame

DrP

I’ve got wtb CX tyres on my kinesis v3 CX runs..
    All fine, and have had them up to 50ish psi..

DrP

mick_r

How are people finding the wider rims (Crest, Arch etc) – do they work better or worse tubeless compared to something “specific” like Stan’s Iron Cross? I guess wider is better for not pinching, but just wondering if the bead locks properly when the tyre profile is “squarer” on the wide rim.

My Mrs raced with tubes last winter – cheapy 32mm Conti CX on Arch rims (I know a bit ott for CX but she already had some 29er Hope Hoops). I’m making her a proper frame this year and wondering whether to also set up tubeless – probably using something like Kenda Kwicker tyres. Frame is currently just a seat tube brazed to a bb shell so I need to get a move on before September…….

nemesis
    Free Member

I was on 85psi with tubes and now 40-50 psi tubeless which feels about the same speedwise.

Arch Ex actually didn’t make the tyre any wider (I measured) or at least not within a mm for me but it clearly adds volume. No issues with the beads locking in place properly.

D0NK

Don’t think width affects beadlock, may be better, narrower tyres with less “bulge” can go to higher pressures, presumably the reverse, wider rims on same width tyres cause less bulge, works aswell

Possibly more of a concern is the tread profile, I had a kenda tyre, was ok to fit and puncture free but with wide rims all the tread was on top of the tyre, no shoulder knobs for leaning over. Less of a problem on the rear

Just checked, a kenda kwicker was what blew off the rim jra. Ymmv tho.

lowey

Anyone injected Stans Jizz into an inner tube via the valve core ? Just wondering if this would work.

2tyred

Watching this with interest – I’ve just bought a set of Crests which I want to use as my pit wheels this season and I’m keen to try them tubeless on the slippier courses.

First go was with Landcruisers, just to see what would happen – they went on suspiciously easily, sounded like they seated OK though, went up fine but were flat not long after. Hadn’t put in any sealant, but I’m not sure if that would have made a difference.

Race wheels have Vittoria Evo XG tubs so was thinking of trying the nearest clincher equivalent set up tubeless, sounds promising.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The Vittoria TNT CX tyres go up really easily with a track pump but the tyre does seem quite stiff. For my CX riding – general hacking about, no racing – they’re fine. I always use sealant when inflating a tyre tubeless as it helps seal the bead in my experience. If bung some in the landcruisers if I were you.

Anyone injected Stans Jizz into an inner tube via the valve core ? Just wondering if this would work.

I’ve done it. I couldn’t get tubless to work using 35mm Smart Sams at 75psi, so i poured the latex into the inner tube (it needs a removable core).

Did this last autumn and its worked so far…

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve done it. It works up to a point but it’s not a patch on tubeless IME as you still get pinch flats.

lowey

Not really bothered about pinches, more the annoying thorns / bits of glass that I get all the time on sustrans tracks. Will give it a bash.

LenBuch
    Free Member

Crikey – before tubeless I was running 35/40 since tubeless now running 30/32 no problems at all on all my local trails and 28/30 CX.

Stans 340’s and Schwallbe Rocket Ron’s cx 34’s

Dibbs
    Free Member

Crikey, I must be a terrible rider, anything much below 85psi (tubed) and I can guarantee a pinch flat where I ride on the Quantocks. 😳

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s rocky there though, isn’t it? I was on 80psi with tubes.

FWIW, I had my first tubeless puncture that wouldn’t seal on my CX bike yesterday – first in about 3 or 4 years of running tubeless. Lesson learned – I should have brought some anchovies with me as that’d have sorted it… Still got home fine using my emergency tube.

D0NK

I should have brought some anchovies with me

has anyone used anchovies sucessfully on cx tyres? All the cx tyres Ive had look a but flimsy for that sort of thing, I normally bung a tube in then patch the inside surface when I get home.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, I have done in the past (cut sidewall).

kiwijohn

I’ve used a string of latex from the bead as a plug a few times. Works well.

brassneck

Crikey, I must be a terrible rider, anything much below 85psi (tubed) and I can guarantee a pinch flat where I ride on the Quantocks.

You aren’t alone. Think I’ll be having a crack at my Kinesis CXs once my road wheels arrive.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless CX ??? can it be done’ is closed to new replies.