• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless Burping ?
  • chives
    Free Member

As title – just wondered if there are any useful solutions (apart from going back to tubes!).

I’m running 2.25 tubeless-ready Nobby Nics at c.30 psi, on Crest rims using Stans yellow tape & sealant. I lost 15 psi from my front tyre this morning, (reasonably rocky, small drops etc) with no signs of puncture, so I’m guessing it must have burped?

Any tips folks – or is that just par for the course?

wolly
    Free Member

Try another 5psi might help?

RealMan
    Free Member

Usually burps are pretty hard to miss. If it’s just the one time, it was probably a puncture you missed, or a freak burp at a weird time. If it starts happening often, then worry.

I’ve only burped a few times, and they I think all happened in big crashes.

scaredypants

you sure they seated properly in the 1st place – fairy liquid etc ?

I’ve never managed it myself but had wondered about solutions when I’ve read it. In my garage is a pair of elderly “evil twin” DH tyres that had an extra lip on the bead to fit over the edge of the rim and prevent unseating. I ended up cutting the lips off ‘cos I couldn’t get Vbrakes to work with them but, now we’re “all” on discs, … ❓

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye burping is very sudden and noticeable.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

+1 for a bit more pressure.

I get it happening on rocky trails with square edge hits if there isn’t enough air. Sometimes an edge can just unseat the tire a touch and it can leak a fair bit of air until the latex kicks in or the tire reseats itself; so not a noticeable belch.

chives
    Free Member

Cheers guys; I thought I’d have noticed it at the time (assuming it was all lost at once), but wasn’t aware of it. I’ve cleaned & carefully inspected the tyre, and couldn’t find any obvious puncture, and it’s now holding 43 psi (I tried it in a pan of water to look for leaks). It’s done plenty of miles with no issues, though admittedly I’ve been pushing it a bit more recently.

Extra pressure would help I guess, but the thing grips so much better with less. I wondered if anyone had tried adding a few extra turns of rim tape to stabilise the tyre?

RealMan
    Free Member

If you’ve done plenty of miles and this is the first time it’s happened, it’s not worth thinking about tbh. It’s more likely to be a puncture you just haven’t noticed – it’s kinda hard to spot them after they’ve sealed.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“Extra pressure would help I guess, but the thing grips so much better with less. I wondered if anyone had tried adding a few extra turns of rim tape to stabilise the tyre?”

Just about to say put another lay of tape on, But like Realman said if you been riding them for a while and not check pressure for a while prob a slow leak of air over time.

johnhe

If you have to run above 30psi, then what on earth is the point in tubeless?

slowboydickie

Are they proper UST tyres? In my experience of using tubeless-ready as opposed to proper tubeless they don’t seat or seal as well. For example I always have problems with bontrager and Spesh tubeless-ready, especially at lower psi. Maybe try proper UST tyre eg Maxxis.

Del

you should still see an improvement in grip because it’s easier for the tyre to deform around stuff because there’s no friction between the tyre’s inner and a tube. dunno how heavy the OP is but i started to notice tyres with tubes rolling over in corners at 30-30psi, FWIW, and i’m <12stone.

chives
    Free Member

Thanks Rob. I checked it before setting off, and most of the ride felt fine. I thought whilst I was out, that the rear had gone soft, but it was fine – I suppose the front was offering so much more grip it was making the bike feel weird. We only did a few more miles after that, and not at any wild pace. I only noticed how low the front was when I’d driven home and was cleaning up. I’ll keep an eye on it. Cheers each.

chives
    Free Member

Dickie – they’re tubeless-ready, not UST. Del, I’m about 12 stone. And Johnhe – couldn’t agree more! 🙂

Del

running tubeless ‘should’ still give more grip and ‘should’ also bring the advantage of less punctures. just because you’re tubeless will not mean the tyre is immune from deforming sufficiently to roll on the rim if you run the pressure too low and corner hard or sustain a heavy impact.
    yeah, i found tubeless too much like hard work for little perceptible advantage, but i might try again one day. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Burping ?’ is closed to new replies.