Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tubeless and tyre deflation (flying) question
  • holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Thinking of going ghetto (tubeless) and am wondering about what happens when I deflate the tyre – I'm specifically wondering about flying with ghetto tubeless.
    I know you don't actually have to deflate your tyres that much to fly, but I've experienced a kind airline personnel fully deflating my tyres for me before (!)
    If they fully deflated the ghetto tubeless tyres, and the bead unstuck (which it probably will once deflated), there'd be slime everywhere, non?

aracer
    Free Member

I've experienced a kind airline personnel fully deflating my tyres for me before (!)

I have too, but only with a bike that wasn't bagged/boxed, and surely airline rules nowadays mean you have to bag or box? If they wanted to go in my box or bag to deflate them I'd ask to see the bit of their regs which requires them to do that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If they wanted to go in my box or bag to deflate them I'd ask to see the bit of their regs which requires them to do that.

Good luck with that, you think they can't take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the flight?

FWIW I've flown with tubeless a few times, just deflate them a bit and confirm you've done it fully….then ask if they deflate the plane's tyres in flight 😛

njee20
    Free Member

deflate the plane's tyres in flight

Spot on! They tend to run slightly higher pressures than most MTBs…

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

FWIW I've flown with tubeless a few times, just deflate them a bit and confirm you've done it fully….

Sounds like a plan!

sockpuppet

[stirring hat]

deflate the plane's tyres in flight

Spot on! They tend to run slightly higher pressures than most MTBs…

but they are uber expensive because they're flight rated – who certifed your mtb tyres?

[/stirring hat]

drop the pressures a bit – if you get someone reasonable explain they're at 10 psi (insert squishy tyre demo here) and the tyres are rated to 50 psi. even the difference between sea level and space is only about 15psi so no worries!

plus IME even if you do have to deflate entirely the beads stay in place well enough to ensure easy inflation

cookeaa

Why not get them seated dry then deflate them for the flight, stuff the sealant down the valve stem once you arrive, prior to re-inflation…
    Just make sure you don't put a bottle of sealant in your hand luggage!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless and tyre deflation (flying) question’ is closed to new replies.