Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • tubeless
  • aw
    Free Member

Just bought a bike with tubeless tyres and don’t know what to do with them? Never had them before so when riding out I obviously don’t need a spare tube 🙂

But what do I take a spare tyre?

Do I take spare sealant and if I get a puncture in the tyre what do I do?

do I take a pump?

mboy
    Free Member

Keep a presta valved tube (or 2 of them) with you, and a mini pump, just in case. You’re a lot less likely to get punctures with tubeless, but sod’s law dictates that if you didn’t take spares, you’d get a puncture! So best to have the necessary with you to ward off the bad karma in the first place.

Oh, and pop some sealant in them before hand, even if they’re UST rims and tyres, and you’ll probably never actually need to put a tube in at all!

aw
    Free Member

So you can still fit tubes to a tubeless set up if the tyre punctures on the trail?

mboy
    Free Member

yup

giantjason
    Free Member

as mboy says really.

i run tubeless and only take out one spare tube with me. This has saved me once when i couldnt work out why my rear tyre was going down. I didnt want to sort it out there and then as it was -5C, dark and snowing so stuck a tube in to get me home.

parisroubaix

ran nothing but tubeless for 6 years, with stans sealant recently, in UST tyres on UST rims. Only 3 punctures in 6 years. Advantages are huge in feel and puncture resistance.
    Weldtite make an excellent repair kit for 5 quid (CRC stock them)- you put sticky string in the hole in the tyre with a slotted needle- never needed anything else to fix them and tyre usually inflated in under 5 mins- also never needed to take tyre off the rim with this kit,good as mounting them properly needs a track pump, not available in the middle of nowhere!
    Always carry a tube in case, its still in its box after all these years.
    Also have some pliers to unscrew the UST valves as they are screwed in tight, in case you need a tube.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘tubeless’ is closed to new replies.