Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tube valves shearing
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Recently I’ve been having an issue with the valves shearing on tubes in my front wheel. About 6 tubes over the last 4 rides.

Same issue each time, no puncture, the valve has pulled off on one side.

Presta tubes, Chunky Monkey Tyre, Spank Oozy rim, different makes of tube of varying ages. Putting a lockring on the inside of the rim seems to have solved it but I did that halfway round the last ride so not long enough yet to say it’s fixed, I’m off to BPW tomorrow and don’t want to be changing tubes each run, anyone experienced this?

woodster

File/sand the valve hole and maybe stick some tape beneath the rim strip and push the valve through that.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Presta = shit that is for some reason tolerated. Although this issue is not presta related I muster wanted to vent my hatred of them.

whyme
    Free Member

the tyres are slipping on the rim when you brake. clean the rim where the tyre seats as well as the hook and replace the tyres, you may get away with it by just cleaning the rim and tyres.

nickjb
    Free Member

Used to happen a lot to me in the old days of skin walls. Fixed by adding a few drops of superglue to the rim/tyre interface. Peels off for tyre changing. Not had it happen with modern tyres though. Some say to add talc to allow the tyre to slip a little without dragging the tube.

Waderider
    Free Member

Velux rim tape plus talc.

alpin
    Free Member

used to happen to me quite often after a day (or half way through a day) when in the bike park. constant braking and pressure on the front, the tyre grips the floor and tube better than it does the rim.

try chucking some talc in there.

one of the reasons i went tubeless.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Aha, thankyou all, it must be the tyre then. It has blown off the rim twice so probably not fitting nicely in the rim anymore. Luckily I have a new one waiting to go on!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tube valves shearing’ is closed to new replies.