• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ady.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tube less kit and tyre recommendations please
  • ady
    Free Member

Am thinking of converting my hope hoops to tubeless and looking for info on what the the best/easiest kit to use .
    Also tyre recommendation normally ride singletrack and rocks /(yorkshire dales)
    Thanks Ady

singlecrack
    Free Member

I am also… so will be interested in this thread
    I have 29ers though not so much choice 😕

Kamikirk
    Free Member

i use stans strips and Joes wheel milk on my DT5.1 hope wheels. Trackpump on and no problems – though Maxxis seem to be my goto tyres, contis and WTB were hell dcespite most sites saying conto are fine..

tazzymtb

singlecrack- 26" rimstrips will work fine with a 29er rim, I used my stans 26" and joes no flats before getting some stans 29er rims.

best tyres that I've found from having a rubber fetish and a few years of playing with tubless:

maxxis- all work well and inflate easily
    Bontrager- easy peasy to mount the acx 2.3's were great peak district choices.
    schwalbe are fab but the older style ralphs could stretch a bit and let go in a sea of latex. Newer slightly stronger sidewall/new tread pattern have been fine
    WTB go very well

panaracer are poo with a tubelss set up

eshershore
    Free Member

Hope Hoops – which rim (ZTR Flow?)

Roval (specialized) blue adhesive tape with Stans UST style valves

Stan's Solution : 2 cups per tire

should inflate easily with track pump and work very well long-term

ady
    Free Member

The rims are mavic 317 thanks for advice chaps ,what sort of pressure do you need to do seal the tyre to the rim .
    And what pressure do you normally run your tubeless set up at .

Xylene
    Free Member

Joes kit

Geax rigid tyres.

tazzymtb

up to 40psi to seat the tyre. don't go over as rim strips can let go if you wack a big pressure in them. The tubeless tyres at silly low pressures is a bit of a fallacy as it's not really what the design was intended for, I usually run about 20-30 psi for a 70kg rider dependent upon the tyre. bontys 29-3's run at 30 are within the design spec, similarly stans ravens at 25 psi are fine. If you run a normal tyre at low pressure with a rim strip don't be suprised if you get the odd burp 😉

ady
    Free Member

Thanks best get on line an order the kit ,where the best site for tudeliss kits .

tazzymtb

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18703

joes sealant is better than stans in the winter

Kahurangi

Don't get the Stan's valves. They're a bit weak and mine actually pulled through the rim (by over-tightening the lock ring to try and get it to seal).

Instead get a continental tube with a removable core. Cut away most of the tube to leave a valve with a bigger base, which you can glue in place or just pull tight. Crucially, the base will be more substantial than the stan's valve and it will cost less.

I use yellow tape, continental tyres (Mountain Kings/Race Kings) and Stan's sealant. Inflate with a track pump (on to Stan's rims)

I couldn't get a Larsen TT to inflate, the ribs around the bead were too leaky.

You can get most of this from Just Riding Along.

Extras such as sealant injector can be replaced with a simple plastic syringe, but allow you to seat the tyre before having to mess with (potentially messy) sealant.

The tubeless valve core remover is nice, but you can do the same job with pliers.

HTH

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Seems like a simple, hassle free, solution to that age old problem of putting air in your tyres 🙄

jambon
    Free Member

Justridingalong is very useful for all of your tubeless needs.

Use UST tyres, yeah, they're heavier but hassle free. I really like Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 LUSTs for general conditions.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've found that modern XM317 rims are deeper than they used to be. To get a really good fit with normal tyres, I've actually got two layers of velox rim tape under the stans strip. It lifts the rubber strip to the top of the rim cavity. Seems to work much more easily.

The old 317 rim was shallower and much easier.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I may go the ghetto route on my 29er
    should I use a 24"tube or will a 26" be ok

M6TTF
    Free Member

+1 for bonty tyres, the tlr tyres are effortless, 5 minute job to fit and inflate.

tazzymtb

kenda karma 29ers go up in record time as well. Just got my silly light tyres on, up, and sealed in about 10mins for 2 wheels using a track pump and no washing up liquid. It's not right, something, somewhere is now plotting my latex based downfall 😕

ady
    Free Member

Done the wheel on sunday using a stans kits and used continetal valves as Suggested .
    Both pumped up first time and then added the latex .
    Used maxxis lust igniters and have done 2 to rides and the bikes just seems more lively
    Off to the dales on friday so will give them a good test .
    Thanks to you all for advice .
    Ady

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tube less kit and tyre recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.