Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tt bars for a sportive is it OK?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Road bike is setup for tt and would rather keep it that way. Nothing in the T&C saying can’t so presume it is OK? Anyone ridden a sportive on a tt bike or with clips?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think you’d be too popular but if there is nothing in the rules then it’s up to you. Maybe mail the organisers, whilst there might be no mention of it they could be assuming nobody would.

johnners
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think you’d be too popular

Why would that be?

I would have thought doing a sportive on a bike set up for tt would be pretty horrible though.

dovebiker

Some events do specify the exclusion of TT bars, but the reality is they rarely scrutinise the bikes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why would that be?

Because they’re a liability in a group.

Same reason they’re banned from most cycling club rides.

It also keeps the triathletes out 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll have plenty space if you get to start thats for sure. I wouldnt want you anywhere near me.

aP
    Free Member

From my experience of sportives seeing anyone riding with TT bars/ TT bike is a sure indicator of someone to steer well clear of. For the full effect you should get into your TT position whilst sitting in the middle of a group, although of course most sportivistas don’t know how to ride in groups, so that won’t be a problem.

johnners
    Free Member

Because they’re a liability in a group.

Is it because they’re dangerous in a crash or just inherently less stable to begin with?

gary

If it’s just clip on bars, on a normal road bike, then no real issue IMO. Just stay off them if you’re in a group.

I would be keeping well clear of anyone I didn’t know riding on aero bars, and conversely if I were you I’d be staying off them if there was anyone else around simply because I’d have no idea what they might do.

Saw someone on a hilly sportive on Monday on a Boardman TT bike, not my idea of fun but each to their own!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I was to enter a spotive, I might be tempted to use TT bars if then ensure everyone else gives you lots of space.

aP
    Free Member

Is it because they’re dangerous in a crash or just inherently less stable to begin with?

They’re more likely to cause the crash.

Gotama
    Free Member

Could also be the distinct lack of brakes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re more likely to cause the crash.

This, you’re less maneuverable, less in control, and a long way from the brakes in an emergency.

Couple that with sportives generally being run on quieter, more scenic (read: twisty, potholed and covered in gravel/leaves) roads compared to TT’s (long straight, no hills, left turns only) and it’s a recipe for disaster.

You know things are going wrong when sportivists are looking down on your cycling related decisions………….

DT78
    Free Member

Is the cobbler classic. Only 75miles / 3500ft of climbing so pretty flat. It’s clipons, saddle/post and height adjustment on the stem so a faff to switch over and I want to practise the position, best I’ve done so far is 35miles. I don’t find it that uncomfortable, but that’s because I’m just starting to ride aero and I’m not in a really aggressive position yet

I’ve only done three sportives but spent at least half riding on my own and I’d only be using them on my own on a clear stretch anyway. I am not massive experienced in group riding (well not with randoms) so generally keep clear

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why not – ride your tt bike somewhere else.

Jamz
    Free Member

I’m not being funny but what’s the point of doing the sportive if you’re gonna mostly avoid groups? You can map out your own loop, one that avoids too many stop/starts or narrow winding roads, and then use the aero bars as much as you like.

Personally I find the idea of climbing on aero bars at any other pace than flat out extremely off putting. With 3500ft you’re gonna be up and down a fair bit, and the roads around there are fairly rolling, meaning you’re gonna be changing gear a lot. Have you got shifters on the aerobars? If not then it’s gonna be hell of a lot of faff to keep changing gear.

whitestone
    Free Member

Our club organises a sportive – the only accident we’ve had was a guy on a TT bike, it wasn’t the bars but the brakes which couldn’t cope with a 20% gradient. Consequently if anyone turns up on a TT bike they won’t be allowed to ride as part of the sportive.

Most if not all the other sportives in the area also restrict their entry.

DT78
    Free Member

Entry is free for me and 17miles from my parents….plus I like to see other parts of the country and prefer it to be way marked for me. In the past I’ve been to sportives with one or two mates till they slowed up. This time I’m on my own.

Do people really join a sportive to ride in a group of strangers?

MrSmith
    Free Member

If I was to enter a spotive, I might be tempted to use TT bars if then ensure everyone else gives you lots of space.

I like your thinking, good way of avoiding the choppers but probaly no defence against the solo cyclist who has no idea how to ride in a group.

tillydog
    Free Member

For the full social pariah, turn up on a fat bike, too 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://bikenoob.com/2011/11/17/aerobars-on-group-rides-bad-idea/

You could be the next star of this video.

edhornby

Er…. It’s called cobblers classic and you want to use TT bars, I wouldn’t think that’s the wisest choice

Ladders
    Free Member

Make sure you’re wearing a skinsuit and aero helmet :up

lightman
    Free Member

I may very well do a sportive or two on my fat bike ^ too, and I wouldn’t take my TT bars off. They’ll be staying on for chaingangs as well, but wont get used unless I deem it safe to do so.
    You just use common sense and don’t use them in a group, its not hard.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I spent the morning faffing around unTTing my bike and setting it back to road duties then the very first bike I saw when parking the car was a exorcet…in fact there were several full TT bikes / chaps in skinsuits / funny helmets mixed amongst the usual road bikes.

To be honest I only saw them in the first group and not again, so can only assumed they belted off into the distance at some silly pace given I wasn’t hanging around and managed 75miles in 4hr3mins.

Would have been fine….

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

#dontevalistentoSTW

#toptip

😀

FWIW, I’d have thought you could’ve hung a small pink teddy bear or something off of your aero prongs, by way of saying these-are-still-here-but-I’m-not-going-to-use-them.

But then that’s just me. Probably.

curto80
    Free Member

Wouldn’t just wearing an “I’m a twunt” badge be easier?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Chill out kids.. it’s all just cycling around in circles, on a rock, spinning in space.. Ultimately all quite pointless 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tt bars for a sportive is it OK?’ is closed to new replies.