Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Trying to justify buying the kids good bikes!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So at a little family gathering last night and I was some what ganged upon for spending a few quid extra on decent bikes for the kids for Christmas! The general consensus was, that’s ridiculous, you should have just got a halfords one for half the price etc etc. At the ages of nearly 8 and 11 surely it’s worth spending a few quid more for something that they can actually lift off the floor by themselves?

trevron73
    Free Member

i’m having the same chats with the wife – i say ,i remember no name trainers and my Raleigh Bomber ,so we should buy the best ect+ ill leave the little **** behind if he is on an appollo, she says buy cheap till he’s 15 ect and stops growing. but i remember (my dad sprayed a girls bike up to look like a Strika (thats the same a letting a priest touch me in my books )

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMCTD is very strict about any bike spending, but as a small, light and partially disabled person she has been persuaded that lighter bikes are easier to ride, so our kids have had decent quality – albeit sourced from ebay – bikes. They are lighter, less prone to go wrong, and the kids enjoy riding them and so use them, which is the most important thing.

Also, buying a £300 bike second hand for £100 and then selling it after two years decent use for £50 is the kind of economics she can understand.

If we could afford to buy them the bikes brand new we would, but we can’t, and that’s not a bad lesson in life for the kids to get used to either, in the current climate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i Agree that they deserve decent bikes and if you get SH they hold their value quite well

I keep my spending to circa the price of a new crap bike or £100 till they are big enough to have my cast off anyway.

on cyclists wont get it just like they wont get what we spend on bikes [ they might have a point re us to be fair]

yossarian
    Free Member

You are the cyclist in the house.

You know the difference having a decent bike over a POS makes.

They are your kids and its your money.

MTFU and tell them to keep their beaks out.

Bazz

More expensive bikes are likely to have better, therefore safer, brakes, wheels etc. also if your kids actually enjoy riding their bikes rather than endure riding them they are less likely to develop an attitude that see’s physical exercise as a chore and therefore less likely to end up as an obese couch potatoe soley interested in computer games.

chickenman

We got our son Spesh Rockhoppers (they were about £150-200)at the time. some of his peers had bikes that were supposedly of the same quality, but cheaper; they had really poor components on them..the forks didn’t look like they’d survive going over a drop. The Rockhoppers are heavy though (about the weight of an adult bike; that’s why they cost £200, not £800!

supertacky
    Free Member

I bought my eight year old a seconf hand Specialized FSR 24. She’s never looked back!
    £100 quid on gumtree and I’ll get that back for it once she gets her 26 inch bike in a couple of years.

The weight and brakes alone make it work every penny!

Her previous bike was a POS! Weighed more that my large Yeti 575 and didnt do anything for her confidance at all.

You know it makes sence. But the correct tool for the job not some POS halfords effort…

MrsToast
    Free Member

I contributed to getting my friend’s little girl a new bike – we went for a little Spesh Hotrock, so not the lightest but considerably lighter than her previous Halfords monstrosity.

The Halfords bike (which was for 6 year olds) weighed more than my full susser, 30-odd lbs. :/ It was tiny, pink, and probably would have made a decent anchor.

Would have liked to have gone for an Islabike, but the child in question preferred the look of the Specialized. 😛 She definitely found going up hills a lot easier on the new bike, due to a combination of weight and having decent gearing.

andyruss
    Free Member

Check out the kids carrera range at halfords. Similar if not the same spec as more expensive bikes

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, i have two kids. my daughter is not sporty at all, my boy loves it.

daughter has a really basic bike because shes just not into it, boy has excellent kit.

i reckon if they are a) into it and b) can extract the performance level from the kit they deserve it.

doing the same with skate and surf kit. he needs a new deck, i can buy a complete board for 6.99 from chav city but i’ll happily pay 30-60 deck alone because he can justify it through the way he skates.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

They’re your kids, buy them whatever bike you want. You don’t have to justify it to anyone.

br
    Free Member

So at a little family gathering last night and I was some what ganged upon for spending a few quid extra on decent bikes for the kids for Christmas!

Easy, just go around their houses and question any stuff they’ve got which is dearer than you’d buy.

tonyd

No justification required IMO. If those asking questions don’t know much about bikes or appreciate a good one how can they know any different? You can either get all excited and explain why you think a more expensive bike is better for them, nod in agreement and do what you like anyway, or tell them to mind their own business.

There are enough opinions on here, amongst folk who know bikes, about wether or not to spend a bit more. I’d just nod quietly if I were you, but then my family and friends are pretty bored of me banging on about bikes 🙂

How much have they spent on Xbox/Nintendo/iWhatever for their kids this Christmas?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well I’ve already bought them so sod em. It was just a question that was posed to me! I said they’d be far better off on bikes that were good! After years of spanking cheap bikes as a kid, when I got my first proper bike I couldn’t believe the difference!

tonyd

My eldest is on an Islabikes Rothan and he absolutely loves it. Could be he’d have been just as happy on a £20 jobby but I don’t believe so. It’s lighter, well balanced, fits well, and he can actually use the brake. He’s flying on it.

In contrast one of his mates has a cheapy and while he rides it it’s with far less enthusiasm and despite being a little older he doesn’t look as comfortable or confident on it. He’ll quite often jump on the Rothan when he gets the chance.

That’s good enough for me!

Nobby

Jr has had several Spesh as he’s grown – every one of them has been faultless (unlike all of his friends whose Halfords/ Toys R Us specials have needed repairs or replacement parts) and have been sold for more than the ‘cheap’ equivalents would cost new when it came time to upgrade.

millcar
    Free Member

I spent the extra and the wee sh**e hasnt rident the damn thing…

somafunk

When my mates kid turned 2 (he’s a kind of godson but none of us are in any way religious but if anything happens to them i look after him legally) i bought him a Ridgeback Scoot and he loved it, he was zipping about on it within a month and 6 months ago i bought a longer seatpost for it as he’s now a leggy 4 1/2 and ready to move onto the Islabike Beinn i’ve just bought him for his xmas from the stw classifieds, it’s in immaculate condition and may have cost £200 but i’m confidant he’ll get more than £200 of fun out of it over the next few years so it’s more than worth it, especially as i can’t wait to take him round the blue route at kirroughtree, it’s my plan to get him riding the red by the time he’s 7.

My mates regularly question/take the piss regarding why i spend so much on bikes n’ stuff, especially as my latest bike cost over £4k but i just ask them how they can justify spending £100+ a week in the pub, that soon shuts them up.

donks
    Free Member

I have bought the lad a couple of decent bikes over the last few years and I’m not actually sure tbh. It’s not made him a better rider than any of his mates and although he knows he should look after it when he’s out with mates round the shops or wherever it gets chucked around..borrowed and generally abandoned when they decide to play footy or do something else. He had one nicked because he left the thing unlocked in the garden, and the gate open!! Trust me he has had the talk about looking after stuff on god knows how many occasions but the fact is he,s 11 and looses all perspective when him and his little gang are running around.
    Rat bikes for kids I reckon until they decide to take it more seriously and actually want something good.

luke
    Free Member

Same discussions here with the wife’s family and until recently the wife as well.
    The bikes before last we got them Giant’s which the wife grumbled at the price etc, but when it came to replacing them I spend some effort educating her and she agreed and we bought them both ridgebacks which brought on there riding greatly and have stood up to the last 18 months use very well come there birthdays in march it will be new bike time again, and we will be buying what we want not what the family suggest.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I was going to say what ‘yossarian’ so +1 that.

djflexure

If they use an expensive bike then you wont feel cheated, so that’s they key.
    Plus if you want them to start proper rides with you then they will need something half decent.
    If its just for scooting about with mates then anything will do. Kids generally love a BMX.

passtherizla
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater – Member
    ok, i have two kids. my daughter is not sporty at all, my boy loves it.
    daughter has a really basic bike because shes just not into it, boy has excellent kit.
    i reckon if they are a) into it and b) can extract the performance level from the kit they deserve it.
    doing the same with skate and surf kit. he needs a new deck, i can buy a complete board for 6.99 from chav city but i’ll happily pay 30-60 deck alone because he can justify it through the way he skates.

Well said. Can’t wait for minime to skate 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Let the kids choose whatever colour cheap BSO they want. When you nearly get a hernia lifting the damn things don’t let on that they have bikes way heavier than your own. Now make them suffer as you beat them up every hill 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. Although don’t get them £2k DH bikes with full matching team gear and drive them to Cwmcarn where they spend all day preening about the carpark whilst you wait for them looking middle class and stressed.

br
    Free Member

At the end of the day, its your cash.

And what do you want to do, ride with them or spend too much time fixing crap stuff and/or them not wanting to ride ‘cos their bike is hard work (due to weight/poor quality) etc.

My son has currently got a 120mm trail bike (built with my old XC bits, inc. XT drivetrain and Reba maxle fork), before that he’d a 24″ Norco and before that a 24″ Trek.

Use to hate it when his friends brought around their cheap-stuff for me to fix, mainly as none of my spanners ever seemed to fit anything (neither metric nor imperial…).

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Depends what they want to do with their bike IMO. If they just want to pootle and play with their friends, then a cheap bike is probably fine. But if they like cycling and they want to learn to MTB etc, then it makes sense to spend the extra money for something decent that will help build their confidence.

Spare a thought for those families who don’t have the extra cash and don’t have this dilemma….maybe the family members who are saying it’s excessive wouldn’t have the money themselves to pay the extra. Or they have a different idea of what’s “essential” and not. My inlaws will frequently make comments about the money that OH and I spend on things they think are extravagant, but we have a totally different lifestyle to them – they have always owned their own business and therefore their mentality on taking holidays, for example, is different to ours.

Nod and smile and do what you want anyway.

edlong
    Free Member

I don’t understand the logic of the point they were ganging up on you to make: buy a cheap, crap bike and will be fit for the skip once used (or before), buy something decent and you will be able to recover at least some value second hand, or it will still be good for a hand-me-down to a smaller child. Manage to find an Isla second hand and there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get back what you paid for it as long as it’s looked after. Those £80 Halfords / sports megastores monstrosities don’t really look cheap, do they?

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I’m all in favour of decent kids bikes I’m not convinced they help massively on the fun factor (until the kids are very into cycling anyway, like 10+ ). I mean most of us probably had Strikers, Grifters, Bananas and choppers and I’m sure none of those were lightweight ergonomic masterpieces yet I’m guessing we all enjoyed cycling as we’re still into it.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Islabikes have a buyback scheme to make it easier to get the next size up as your sprog grows. Don’t know how good it is or whether you would be better selling privately but it’s worth bearing in mind when buying a kids bike.

thehustler
    Free Member

My boy and girl have the Carrera blast/luna, wife didn’t want to pay that much until I could show her the differences, at their ages /lvl of riding its hard to justify anything better as the same in adult bikes the gains per £ get less, but these bikes are light nicely specced and just work and thats what counts for me

Solo
    Free Member

Last Saturday I shelled out just under £700 for my Nephew’s new bike which he will receive for Xmas. Not the nicest experience paying that much, but I hope it feels better when I see him riding it.

My reasoning was that now hes on a 700c sized bike, as he continues to grow, I can just replace stuff, rather than buying completely new bikes. Time will tell if I’m correct, spose.

GrahamS

How much have they spent on Xbox/Nintendo/iWhatever for their kids this Christmas?

Exactly.

Sloth Britain – where spending £600 on a telly is perfectly reasonable behaviour, but spending anything more than £60 on a bike is madness.

edlong
    Free Member

where spending £600 on a telly is perfectly reasonable behaviour, but spending anything more than £60 on a bike is madness

Never seen it summed up with quite such concise elegance.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s no way you can justify an expensive kid’s bike!
    They grow out of them.
    All this talk of second hand value is just an attempt at justification, but it’s all balls. You want to buy an expensive bike for the kids cos it makes you feel better. Kids don’t care as long as it’s the right colour!
    I’m not saying you shouldn’t, if you’ve got the money to burn, go for it.

[edit]I’m also not saying you should buy £60 cheapos!

edlong
    Free Member

Dez, I disagree. Someone bought my daughter a ridiculously heavy “full sus” from a friend that weighed a lot more than my bike (daughter was six at the time). Surprisingly she hated it, cos she couldn’t ride it more than 30 yards without her legs burning up. Her second hand 20″ wheel Specialized cost no more, weighs a fraction of that and now she’s constantly nagging me to take her for a bike ride.

Crap bikes put kids off cycling. Sure, they might be able to doss around in the street with their mates, but as for developing enthusiasm for “going for a bike ride”, nope, not in my experience.

hammerite
    Free Member

Dez – 2.5 years use for Jnr’s bike cost us £150 (he grew out of it in this time). That’s the price we paid, plus any replacement parts (through wear and tear), less what we sold it for.

I think you can take into account the resell price of the bike.

Plus as the bike was decent in the first place it’s one less bike that’s heading to the tip as junk.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That weight issue was my main reasoning, there were two 2012 xs 26″ wheel trek’s left in the lbs, they’d been reduced by a hundred quid each and I did a further deal on buying two. Both kids, were measured/tested on them for size and they were just (the kids) tall enough. The wife was in total agreement in buying the daughter one as she’s nearly 11 but wasn’t sure about laddo who’s nearly eight, however he flashed me the “it’ll make my Christmas” look and I folded!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Trying to justify buying the kids good bikes!’ is closed to new replies.