Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trying to figure out headsets!
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have just got my new frame and Im trying to work out the mass of headset options.

Its a tapered integrated, which is easy enough. Except, I have an 1 1/8th steerered fork and dont ideally want to jack the front up more and ruin the head angle. Is there any headset that will include a bearing race for a tapered fork and a 1 1/8th to use with the same headset? I want to go to a tapered fork eventually but wont be for awhile and want to get riding.

Doug

davewalsh
    Free Member

Just fit one of these to your 1 1/8″ fork to bring the bottom up to 1 1/2″:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hs136-15-1-1-8-reducer-57832.html

DiscJockey
    Free Member

When I bought my Giant Trance (1-1/2″ taper integrated FSA headset), I asked if I could run a 1-1/8″ fork in it and the shop included a separate fork crown race that made the conversion. It’s just a one piece item (not a 1-1/8″ crown race + adaptor) and doesn’t raise the front any more than a normal race. Still running perfectly after 2 years. I don’t know the exact model though – it might be sold as a Giant part, or as an FSA part. At least with the Hope adaptor you can choose any headset.

jonnyrockymountain

I find hope’s website very helpful on all the different types of headsets

andyl
    Free Member

as above, some headsets have optional crown races but it will be easier to just get the Hope adapter IMO and it will be universal fit.

dooge
    Free Member

Thank you gents, I found something made by Hope on CRCs website but I couldnt figure out how it worked until I went on their website and it made a bit more sense. All ordered!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trying to figure out headsets!’ is closed to new replies.