Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Truvativ X0 Cranks – expensive but good?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi – I’m looking for some new cranks (2×10) and whether these are worth the cash? CRC have them on sale at the mo.

I have a Chris King BB so would I need a stepped converter to fit them (GXP)?

I liked the look of some of the e-thriteen and raceface cranks too so value your input!

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Define good? They’re heavier than XTRs whilst costing more, having crap chainring longevity, and a dire BB.

Converter required for King BB yes.

andyrm
    Free Member

And they get tatty as hell in no time at all………

gp
    Free Member

Well ‘good’ would be not being heavy for the price, lasting and having an OK BB!

So I’ll steer clear as that’s pretty much what I’ve read.. Ta.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d go XT or XTR over Sram any day, Shimano cranks just work.

dryroasted
    Free Member

gxp is a load of rubbish

gp
    Free Member

Not sure I can change the type of BB my frame accepts?

ojom
    Free Member

DO yourself a favour and use XT.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Merlins got them on sale bit cheaper i think..?

dantsw13

My X0 cranks are 2 years old, had heli tape from new, and still in great nick!

Heavier than XTR – 15g – Wow!! Suggest you cut the cuffs of your socks if you think that matters!

Crap BB? Mine run on a Hope ceramic BB with GXP converter – wonderful after 2 muddy years!!

Mine were £200 from CRC – how much are XTR??

By the way – love them to bits, and still on the original chainrings

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve always been an XTR man but am running these on my Epic and love them – crazy price and the included Ceramic BB is holding up well so far (certainly better than the XTR one).

FSA K Force Light 386

I think they look great too with the 386 chainrings.

Northwind

I stuck with my old XTRs, no advantage at all to the X0s and some disadvantages. You can remove the central spider thing and fit a bling ring for 1×10 which saves a tiny amount of weight, though.

gp
    Free Member

If they are GXP – why do they need a converter? Is that to try and get you to buy a Sram BB?

gp
    Free Member

or is it that my BB isnt ‘GXP’ ?!

dantsw13

No, hope bb’s, and CK I think are Shimano HT compatible. The converter allows a SRAM GXP crank ie the X0 to run on them. Works well too, IMHO.

There is a Hope video on their website.

Chainline
    Free Member

I have X0 cos I wanted to run a 28 and 30t ring so I have a bling ring. Saves a load of weight. I would have continued to run my beloved xtr but really needed to go below 32t front. I got mine for £200 and tbh, so far and pretty happy, stiff, spin smoothly, weigh naff all, 630g with the BB. I’ll swop to a king BB when the existing gxp dies.

njee20
    Free Member

I would have continued to run my beloved xtr but really needed to go below 32t front

88mm BCD on the doubles? Or 64 on the triple/trail double?

heihei

Run XO here too with a 30T bling ring and loving it. Got mine off here for approx £100!!

Macavity
    Free Member

gp
    the simple answer to your question is that Truvativ make possibly the worst bearings in the world.

Hence the reason why other companies make bearings (or full BB cups and bearings) that can be used as an upgrade / improvement on the original Truvativ bearings.
    For an explanation of what is involved in changing the bearings:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/truvativ_gxp_by_rwc_f.pdf

bol

I liked mine and was sad to see them go in my recent cull. I never had an issue with them. The comparison with XTR might stack up at RRP, but at actual selling price the comparison should be more with XT. Oh, and in my opinion they look the nuts.

Chainline
    Free Member

Njee, I have the trail so I could have fitted a 28/30t in the granny position but then I couldn’t run the chain device and the clutch mech isnt enough 🙁

monkeyboyjc

I’ve had an x0 chainset for the past 9months, I’ve had no problems at all. They have been stiff and light – what more can you want?

As said previously, they arent that much heavier than XTR (but are avalible cheaper) and as for chainings you can pick them up for around 50quid a pair (less than a pair of xtr) if you know where to shop.

The standard gxp BB is pretty gash, but the hope and chris king versions are very good so when the standard one goes just upgrade.

mbarnes
    Free Member

I have the 1x carbon xo cranks and like them.

£260 so didn’t think they were bad

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ X0 Cranks – expensive but good?’ is closed to new replies.