Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Truvativ GXP compatible BBs?
  • Brentstyle
    Free Member

Hello

I have a set of Truvativ Stylo cranks that I currently run with a Truvativ GXP BB. I probably dont need to tell you, but the GXP BB is not very good! Couple of mud rides and its rougher than a badgers arse.
    Is anyone aware of any compatible and durable external BBs made by other companies? Hope, Wheels, CK, etc?

Jason
    Free Member

Hope do a pair of shims that you fit to a normal external BB, allowing you to run your GXP cranks. I think Hope have a video on their webpage.

Jason
    Free Member
    40mpg

They only work with Hope BB's though, not Shimano. Hope BB's dont have the top-hat that Shimano do, so the inside diameter of the bearings is narrower.

tthew

My experience would suggest that although cheap, the Superstar compoents versions are even worse than the originals. The 'seals' clearly don't.

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Thanks Jason, I hadn't noticed Hope do shims despite it being clearly stated on the CRC website. Feel a bit dim, but relieved I can fit a Hope unit as my Hope BB on my other bike has been a fit-forget-type success.

julianwilson
    Free Member

you can get a bearing and 'top hat' kit by enduro from BETD for £25. Bit of work tom knock out the bearings from the gxp bb (they are sort of glued in!) but the enduro bearings are better and so are the seals that go over the top. A bit of work but definitely the heapest way to get better lasting bearings for GXP. I would tell you how mine are doing but TBH I haven't given them a second though in the year they have been on my bike. I suppose that is pretty good going for £25.

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Thanks Julian, what did you use to get the bearings out?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I managed to find a socket that fitted just inside the threaded side of the bb cup and a much larger one (this is hard to find, I was lucky enough to find a socket that just fitted inside, and an old car radiator hose spring clip that fitted exactly on the outside of the bb cup) then pushed it out in a vice. this only works with gxp ones as you can't get a 'step' inside shimano ones to press on. You get a little ring thing with the bearing kit from betd anyway so you shouldn't need to press it out of the dead bearing but its easy to do if you need to.

The bearings are sort of 'glued' in with bearing fit compound on gxp bb's so it really is a bit of a mission getting them out too.

Alternatively BETD sell a tool for it for about £20-30. A mate got one free when he bought 5 sets of bearings. I was an 'early adopter' of sorts (hence the sockets and vice) in my group of bike friends and then later on we bought a job lot between us and its way easier having the proper tool.

And alternatively again BETD always used to install them for free if you post them your dead bb cups for them to do.

Bimbler
    Free Member

An even cheaper option maybe just to re-grease. I was in exactly the same boat as you and have even got around to buying a Hope BB + adaptors but thought I'd give a re-grease a go, lifted the seals and packed those mofos full of grease (a strangely satisfying job). Have been perfect for 3 months.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thread resurection? Anyone know the bearing number for GXP BB’s? Mine have some sort of extra lip seal but I’m guessing the bearing itself must be a standard size?

PJM1974
    Free Member

My experience with Truvativ BBs is that once they creak, they’re past saving. They don’t last particularly long, despite all the clever bearing gubbins inside.

Back to the point about the Superstar BB. I’ve got one that’s lasted eighteen months of daily use and hasn’t died. It’s sat on my shelf as a spare now, but for £20 it’s exceeded expectations.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ GXP compatible BBs?’ is closed to new replies.