Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Truvativ cranks
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have just got some Truvativ Elita external bb road cranks. Instead of a pinch bolt like Shimano cranks, they have a bolt that threads directly into the axle and then another ‘ring’ (allen key fitting) that threads into the crank arm over the top of the first bolt. Is this second ‘ring’ bolt just a retainer to stop the main bolt undoing, or is it something to do with preloading the bearings?

elliptic
    Free Member

Sounds like a self-extracting system – undo the inner bolt with the outer “ring” in place to pull the crank off the splines?

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Same on my Stylo ss cranks, self extracting, as you undo the smaller one it pushes the inside of the larger and your arm falls off…crank arm that is!

scuttler

You don’t need a tool for the larger bolt. Just an 8mm hex for the inner bolt. Not sure exactly what the larger one does.

colnagokid

As above you “load” the bearings with the 8mm hex key (torque wrench required) on the inner bolt, the outer ‘cap’ is the self-extracting thingy, tho I think you need to take it out to get the inner bolt completely out/crank off.
    Bit of a F on IMO

LenHankie

IMO this is a very simple system, you just tighten the bolt to slide the crank arm onto the axle, when it won’t go any further you know it’s on right. To remove, you just undo it and the self extracting bolt will pull the crank off the axle. Couldn’t be simpler really, none of the headset style preloading of the Shimano system.

Del

and when the crank bolt loosens off during a ride repeatedly it wears the splines, then you throw the lot away, and buy shimano. 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Or, do the bolts up and use a bit of threadlock and do the job properly.

I used Firex cranks / BB and didn’t have an issue. Not the lightest, but as functional as it needs to be, without breaking le bank.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Truvativ cranks’ is closed to new replies.