Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trust issues – truing content
  • Kryton57

After an accident resulting in a wobbly wheel at the weekend, I’ve used the quarter turn spoke technique to put it back in shape.

Thing is, two of the spokes were bent slightly likely from the wheel being ridden over, and perhaps understandably the loosening side spokes feel much looser / easier to turn than the tightening/bent side.

Is there a test other than hammering around close to home in case it implodes that I can to to ensure safely completing the next race?

vincienup
    Free Member

Personally I was fine with this until you mentioned bent spokes.

I’d swap out the bent spokes personally.

mattyfez

I’d take it to someone who knows the dark arts of wheel building and get them to give it a going over personally.

Couple of knackered spokes is ok for pottering about but of you’re racing, they need to be right.

Kryton57

It should be noted I rode the entire race – 90 mins with jumps – with it damaged as the accident was at the Start.

Still, bent spokes…

wilburt
    Free Member

If the wheel is true, round and spoke tension feels similar I would be happy riding it.

IME your anxiety will fade after a few rides or you will die in a broken heap:)

scotroutes

I’d replace the bent spokes. For the few minutes fix time it would save hours of anxiety.

weeksy

You’re not far from Rotec Cycles i think mate. He’s open late every day and great for fixing wheels, he’s crazy cheap too along with being very straight forward and honest.

Stoner
    Free Member

ermagherd! Bent spokes!

Assuming you can keep the spoke in place without losing it in the rim or having to re-do your rimstrip/tubeless goo, probably worth replacing at some point, but I wouldnt get in a twist* about it.

*ha!

lunge

Snowflake wheels, it’s been a while since I saw them.

dissonance

Is there a test other than hammering around close to home in case it implodes that I can to to ensure safely completing the next race?

Find someone a tad heavier than you. Lend them the wheel and tell them to hammer it.
    Just in case it is going to fail badly.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Kudos to the OP – I’d have been cacking myself had I been tackling stuff like that without confidence in the integrity of my wheels.

I think that it’s already been answered, but FWIW it’s best to replace bent spokes for peace of mind.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You need to stop being such a princess and ride it. It’s still exerting the same pull force and because it’s steel it won’t be significantly weaker.

amedias
    Free Member

OP, you’re the exact opposite of me 😆

I bust a spoke on one of my front wheels about 8 months ago after a bit of a tumble through some undergrowth, I kept meaning to fix it but that bike gets infrequent use so thrown to the back of the pile, each time it comes out I think “I must fix that…”

This has been going on so long it now has 4 broken spokes, and one other cracked nipple, it’s only a small wobble…

I built them though (about 10 years ago!), I have enough faith in the other 28 spokes to hold it together for a bit longer but I’ll get round to fixing it at some point 😉

On topic though, take it to a wheel builder if you’re not sure.

Kryton57

Kudos to the OP – I’d have been cacking myself had I been tackling stuff like that without confidence in the integrity of my wheels.

To be fair the race adreniline had got me. I could see it wobbling below me but was still flying over tables tops and dropping in to berms out on it.

So any way, I’ve played with a spoke key at the weekend and all was fine, the wheel being pretty strainght now. However, on one spoke half of the Alu nipple – the square bit that the key engages on – crumbled off.

Nevertheless I’m going to race it tonight to see if it falls apart. The garden test with locked fork and me jumping up and down on it resulted in some pinging – twisted spokes? – but it’s still straight.

It’s just that the only reputable wheel builder I know is a bit of a drive away in London traffic so a PITA.

weeksy

I could see it wobbling below me but was still flying over tables tops and dropping in to berms out on it.

Where were you racing ? Leogang ?

scotroutes

Yeah, the pinging is just the spokes unwinding. It’s normal to turn them further than you need then back them off. A wee bit of tape on the spoke(like a flag) as you do this is a good indicator.

Hopefully doing this sort of remedial work will set you up for more major stuff in future.

Kryton57

Where were you racing ? Leogang ?

Phoenix bike park, Kentford. Part of the MSG series. Here’s a pic I believe during lap 4 of 6 – note it was 32 degrees hence height of the ground is dictated by rider fatigue 😉 :

View this post on Instagram

#xco #xcracer #vitusbikes #london_phoenix_cc

A post shared by Steve Hanks (@velo_stan) on

If you look carefully at the front you can see its way out of true.

weeksy

Awwww poop. Can’t view at work.

simondbarnes

However, on one spoke half of the Alu nipple – the square bit that the key engages on – crumbled off.

That WILL fail, leaving you with a flapping spoke. A couple of bent spokes wouldn’t bother me at all though.

Bez

As above. A moderately bent spoke isn’t an issue. A broken nipple definitely is. I’d probably rather ride with a missing spoke than a broken nipple. And replace them with brass ones this time, eh.

From the description it sounds like you may have crisped the rim a bit, too. That’s generally A Bad Thing for the life expectancy of a rim so depending on how far out of true it was I’d be keeping an eye on it at least. Assuming you don’t have steel rims, anyway 😉

Kryton57

Ok, I’ll swap wheels for tonight and get that one fixed.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trust issues – truing content’ is closed to new replies.