Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Trump's Aberdeenshire golf course
  • TP
    Free Member

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/public-inquiry-into-handling-of-the-trump-resort

I know there are a few on here shocked by the way in which Trump’s golf course got planning. A petition has been created that calls for an inquiry looking at the ins and outs of the decision process. Hopefully the link works.

footflaps

Same way most things happen in local government, he had loads of money, a few local councillors are corrupt…

birky
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

It wasn’t local government that was corrupt by the sound of things. I believe local planning turned it down and were overruled. Salmond’s role in this stinks TBH.

sparksmcguff

a few local councilors

Perhaps I’ve read too many Rotten Borough columns in Private Eye, but it seems like a disproportionate number of local councilors are corrupted particularly when it comes to planning matters.

sparksmcguff

Grum – it was only one local councilor who really stood against the Trump plan. And he was forced to resign. Coincidently Salmon and Trump have now fallen out with one another (after Trump courted Salmon who loves any attention and pushed through plans for the destruction of an SSI at Balmedie – at least that’s what appears to have happened)!

wwaswas

it seems like a disproportionate number of local councilors are corrupted particularly when it comes to planning matters.

the thing is that we see it when it’s local stuff.

The same thing happens nationally but it’s stuff like privatising schools or hospitals or farming out ‘non-essential’ services to private companies – it’s all done by politicians with one eye on the job they’ll get when they leave office.

Same with the MOD procurement – the number of civil service staff who move to the contractor they chose for a project is huge.

binners

Man of the people apparently. 🙄

sparksmcguff

Very true wwaswas. MoD procurement is bonkers. The Register occasional has good pieces on procurement decisions in the MoD. A friend who works for the Scottish gov was asking how much a fairly simple website should cost. I commission fairly similar things and have also worked as a designer. Something that I would be buying for £12000 is costing the gov £35000 from one of their approved suppliers. OK I recognise there are design/security considerations to be made, however, I have to make those decisions too!

sparksmcguff

Binners – man of the people, particularly people of excess means.

steveoath
    Free Member

If anyone votes for ‘eck’s plans at the referendum they need their head examined, the guy is a louse.

bruneep

And this is why there was no negative news in the local paper

Sarah Malone Bates – married Press & Journal editor Damian Bates February 2013

http://news.stv.tv/north/210008-donald-trumps-aberdeenshire-golf-course-damaged-by-winter-storms/

The moving sands keep on moving 🙂

TP
    Free Member

It was more than one Councillor. The committee was split and the chair took the deciding vote and the application was rejected (a process called democracy). The chair was then targeted by the pro Trump group.

sparksmcguff

TP – yep, aware of the process. It just seemed as though there was only one person standing against it – precisely because the pro-trump media attention focused on one individual.

My memory of events was that while the other two members of the planning committee (5 person Aberdeenshire committee I seem to remember) who voted against the proposal quickly changed their minds once the Chair was vilified in the local media. Of course that’s my perception of events from a couple of years back. And my memory is not infallible by any stretch.

TP
    Free Member

sparksetc. – you may well be right.

grum
    Free Member

But the local government voted against and it was called in and overruled by the national government wasn’t it? That was my perception from watching the (admittedly very one-sided) You’ve Been Trumped documentary.

br
    Free Member

But the local government voted against and it was called in and overruled by the national government wasn’t it? That was my perception from watching the (admittedly very one-sided) You’ve Been Trumped documentary.

Which AFAIK are the rules to ensure NIMBYS don’t impact decisions that have regional/national importance etc.

sparksmcguff

Grum – have to say, from memory, it was a multi-sided attack. Very few local politicians were openly against the scheme. Once it became apparent that the aberdeenshire sub-/planning committee might not support the Trump scheme Trump started to court Salmon. Meanwhile Aberdeen city started to put pressure on Aberdeenshire to accept the scheme (which is itself pretty off in a democratic process – surely local authorities shouldn’t be interfering in each others business). So Salmon then implied that the Scottish government was backing Trump’s scheme. This in turn seemed to give legitimacy to Aberdeen City’s interference in Shire affairs and absolutely discouraged anyone from taking a line against the scheme at local government level.

Trekster

Same kinda stuff going on with wind farms ❓
    We Eck and his minion s have “forced/bribed” councils such as D&G to allow more farms to be built. Probably because he knows if the dafties vote for independence the Euro money will dry up and he will have to find it out of his own(our)pockets

TP
    Free Member

b r – How is a golf course and associated infrastructure of national importance? Good for the economy yes but of regional importance?

My issue isn’t necessarily the courses existence but the way it happened. The course in Machrihanish is a fine expample of how to create a golf course in such a setting and take into consideration environmental concerns/designations. But Trump refused to work in such a manner and instead abused the system.

scuttler

The moving sands keep on moving

Bummer.

MS
    Free Member

An Inquiry for the sake of it, what a load of crap! I’m not a golfer but it will bring so much money to teh North east. And Trump does want to spend more cash on it (if the windmills dont get put up!).

What benefit will an inquiry have on me, nil. Will it make much difference, doubt it. What happens may not be right, but why pay to have an inquiry! Idiotic

wrecker
    Free Member

Which AFAIK are the rules to ensure NIMBYS don’t impact decisions that have regional/national importance etc.

Yeah. Stupid people and their stupid quality of life.

br
    Free Member

b r – How is a golf course and associated infrastructure of national importance? Good for the economy yes but of regional importance?

Its not just a golf course, but a resort ‘promoted’ by a global entrepreneur – therefore it’s at least a regional issue (investment circa £100m), and taking into account Scotlands’ desire to be seen as a global golf destination you could say its of national importance.

johnellison
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind but that course is completely unplayable… 😯

footflaps

I’m not sure who I dislike more, Salmond or Trump, does seem like a match made in heaven 😉

bruneep

but it will bring so much money to teh North east.

I doubt this very much.

Its hardly a wasteland up here, all I know is I can no longer walk my dog on areas that I used to.

scuttler

and taking into account Scotlands’ desire to be seen as a global golf destination you could say its of national importance

Yeah I’m sure that without Trumpton, Scotland as a golf destination will just fade away. Thank the lord for St Donald and his altruism.

TP
    Free Member

So should we just let him build number two as he wishes or demand that he builds it acknowledging various environmental designations and design a world-class the course that is sympathetic to its surroundings?

re: An inquiry, Salmond is making a habit of making poor decisions that have no basis in fact. They just tend to suit his Spin and his consultancy opportunities once his retirement arrives. If an inquiry reins in his loose mouth then thats no bad thing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a programme on this last year, didn’t they mention Job creation or something as one of the reasons planning got through??

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Trekster

Is golf not on the decline?
    Various local clubs who used to have waiting lists have recently resorted to putting up banners advertising the ” memberships available” now slogan as per gyms etc 🙄

MS
    Free Member

Various local clubs who used to have waiting lists have recently resorted to putting up banners advertising the ” memberships available” now slogan as per gyms etc

Try coming up to Aberdeen then!!! The oil money up here and corporate memberships mean there are big waiting lists!

And yes it will take in money to the Northeast! Jobs were created, lots of people coming into Aberdeen area to play golf. And for the dog walking argument, times change, things move on. Personally if I was Trump I wouldn’t build a course here as there are too many folk against him for in my opinion trivial reasons.

Woody
    Free Member

Jobs were created, lots of people coming into Aberdeen area to play golf.

I would love to see the figures on this. Particularly, how many ‘locals’ were employed in construction and how many continue to work there. Precious few so far, according to THIS REPORT which quite clearly shows what little regard Trump has for anyone or anything else.

And for the dog walking argument, times change, things move on.

It is/was an area SSI FFS and there is absolutely no need for another golf course in Aberdeen, the construction of which, IMO was just a red herring so he could build a hotel and a flash housing estate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What happens may not be right, but why pay to have an inquiry! Idiotic

So when something is not right its idiotic to look at why

I am confused by your reasoning here tbh.

MSP

If anyone votes for ‘eck’s plans at the referendum they need their head examined

Well an independent Scotland which is part of Europe, may seem like a good idea once Cameron has taken the rest of the UK out. Especially when the European/US free trade agreement come in and all the little Englanders are stood licking the windows from the outside.

Woody
    Free Member

MSP

You have considerably more faith in Scottish politicians (even as part of Europe) than I have. Does anyone need reminding of the Scottish Parliament Building!!

bruneep

And for the dog walking argument, times change,

Aye I take the Fat bike across the course now

things move on

As do the sands Trump seems to think that he can stop the constant movement of the sand. But having walked that area for years it constantly changes weekly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

could he not use whatever he uses to keep his hair in place to stabalise the sand?

bruneep

DougD

Went to a talk by Martin Ford a couple of weeks ago which was really interesting. Trump is an abhorrent man, determined to get his own way.

This is a good read for anyone interested: Paper by Martin Ford

Local jobs, thats a good one. Hence building hostel style accomodation for the employees? Surely that wouldn’t be needed if these were to be local jobs for local people?

As do the sands Trump seems to think that he can stop the constant movement of the sand. But having walked that area for years it constantly changes weekly.

Apparently the northern edge of the dunes in about the ’40s is where the southern edge of the dune system is now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Trump's Aberdeenshire golf course’ is closed to new replies.