Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Truing a road wheel with flat blade spokes
  • onandon
    Free Member

I have a fairly hefty buckle in my rear wheel after hitting a pot hole. Usually these things are pretty simple to fix but I’m having a mare with the DT Aerolite spokes.

I’ve built and trued wheels in the past but these things just love to twist.

Any tips? would be appreciated

ctznsmith
    Free Member

As far as I was aware you need a tool that will hold the blades in line whilst you turn the nipples.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I recently straightened out a pair of mavic (ksyrium?) bladed spoke road wheels: I used a dinky (5″?) little adjustable spanner closed over the spoke about 1/3 of the way up from the rim, and then spoke key as normal. (this also worked for some crossrides I once had too)

BadlyWiredDog

Something like this but you could make your own if you’re practical and save dosh. Bontrager does one that comes with their aero-bladed wheels, but not sure if they sell it alone.

cp

I just used a pair of pliers on mine. Stick a rag between the jaws if you’re precious about not scratching the spokes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

All spokes twist, you’re just seeing it now.

Grip with adjustable/pliers.

onandon
    Free Member

I made a similar tool by hack sawing a groove in a piece of oak.
    they still wanted to twist so I think the nipps could do with a lube before I have another try.

At least I’m on the right track 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do mine with an adjustable spanner and cloth wrapped around the spoke…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Truing a road wheel with flat blade spokes’ is closed to new replies.