Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • trueing my wheels
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

can i true my own wheels with a rubber mallett and a flat surface! theyre a bit buckled.

Keef
    Free Member

yes,it’ll be fine 😉

tthew

No, use a hacksaw and the edge of a fag packet like everyone else.

Northwind

What did you do to bend them? It’s all about reversing the polarity- if you hit them off a rock on a descent, you have to ride back up that descent at the same speed and hit the same rock from the other side.

eskay

Buy a spoke key and watch some online tutorials. It is pretty straight forward.

dannyh
    Free Member

Spoke key plus online tutorials is the way to go.

Also add two vital ingredients, though.

Time and patience.

Don’t rush it, you need even spoke tension as well as a true rim. If the spoke tension is all to cock, the wheel will buckle again if you look at it wrong!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

this online book is £9 well spent

Wheel Pro

I was truing wheels for 8 years in the bike shop and that book still taught me a few new tips.

I recommend Spokey Pro nipple keys, preferably the ones with the double thickness insert like this: Spokey Pro

leffeboy

If they are REALLY buckled then whacking them off the ground to bend them back a little (with the tyre still on) really works quite well. you’ll need a spoke key to finish it properly though

shermer75
    Free Member

Put them in the fridge overnight

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fridge! are you mad man?

I think you mean freezer don’t you?

leythervegas
    Free Member

Ah bollocks to all that. I’ll take them to my lbs.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Thought I could just give them a gentle whack with my trusty rubber mallet and they’d be reet. Never mind.

robhenry85
    Free Member

Northwind

What did you do to bend them? It’s all about reversing the polarity- if you hit them off a rock on a descent, you have to ride back up that descent at the same speed and hit the same rock from the other side.

do you have to ride up backward for this to work or not? 😕

Cheezpleez

Swap them with your mate’s while he’s buying a cheese straw at Peaslake shop

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘trueing my wheels’ is closed to new replies.