Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • True all rounder??
  • hayduke
    Free Member

I currently own a Dale Jekyll. Said to be the true allrounder like all other 150 mm bikes (even ones without a pull shock..) anyway it´s time to make a crucial decision. Have been more than pleased with the Jekyll, except from at nagging suspision that one day, on a high mountain that shock (or a pivot, bearing etc..) will let me down.
    Am going on a 7 month trip all over the world and are bringing bike. so.. what bike to bring? i am going to be riding in muddy jungles i the philipines, Patagonian dust ( dirt??), Moab slick rock.. Hell maybe even a bit of Great divide racing.? And just about all other types of terrain and types of riding
    It needs to be indestructable, fun and highly maintenance free.

Now that must be the true test for a true all rounder. Can it maintain its composion all over the world, in almost all conditions? i guess no bike can, but which will come so close that i can close the remaining gap of compromise in my mind?

I am thinking steel, relatively slack angles, hope and xtr style components. Ragley, Cotis..

Any Thoughts?

plumber
    Free Member

Inbred would be my choice

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ran a heckler across Oz for 7 months, only maintenance I did was regrease the BB bearings when I saw the price of HTII.

For long life go with things you can get bearings for (hope)
    XTR just over priced faff really 🙂 X9/XT for me

If I wanted to be safe I’d take my new hackler, a Pro Pack (axles & Bolts) a set of bearings for frame, h’set and BB and a rebuild kit for the pedals.

CRC will post in under a week anywhere in the world if you pay. There are also lots of Bike Shops all over the world.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I think you’re fudging versatility and ability with simplicity.

Northwind

I’d fudge together a mighty combo of my Ragley and Hemlock I reckon… The Hemlock’s awesome but sometimes a bit much, the Ragley’s awesome but gram pinching means something’d break, and some of the bits wouldn’t be easy to find in a hurry (or at all in fact). So Ragley pedalability and non-overkillness, with Hemlock durability, victory.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now that must be the true test for a true all rounder. Can it maintain its composion all over the world, in almost all conditions? i guess no bike can, but which will come so close that i can close the remaining gap of compromise in my mind?

I assume you will allow yourself to maintain and service the bike over 7 months?

How does it fair in the UK, most of the worst of the conditions for biking:)

Generally non standard suspension is a PITA even if your home. If you get rid of that then off you go. Keep it lubed, clean it, check for play and most bikes will last that long. Find a dealer location in each country and pack a hanger and a credit card.

tomhoward

Mk I intense slope style, but made of carbon fibre for a sub 30lb build [/dreaming]

This statement makes me happy

Inbred would be my choice

As I’m just about to build one up 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘True all rounder??’ is closed to new replies.