• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TRP Spyres v Shimano CX77
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My Cross bike currently has Shimano CX77 cable operated disc brakes, while they’re pretty good brakes it’s a right faff adjusting them as only one side of the caliper moves and it needs 3 different sized allen keys to adjust the pads, and it needs doing pretty regularly. On a long muddy wet (winter) ride you might have to stop and adjust them at least once.

I have 10 speed shifters and no desire to change the drive train, so would a TRP Spyre be any better in terms of adjustment, I’m not expecting any increase in stopping power, but I don’t really need it anyway.

Another option is a BB7.

Any pointers??

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve used bb7 and spyres. The bb7s I found to be similar to how you describe, the spyres do seem to requires a bit less input. They are still on the bike, the BB7s have been sold on.

BadlyWiredDog

I went from BB7s to Spyres for similar reasons and am happy I did, much easier to set up and adjust.

One thing: budget for compressionless cables when you install the TRPs, much to my surprise, they made a big difference to the feel and power of the brakes, pretty much on a par with BB7s for performance, but neater and easier to work on imo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I need new cables anyway after a season of cross, so they’ll be getting changed

matts
    Free Member

How about some Hy-rds, or the Juin tec / Acor ones. You get the added benefit of self-adjusting pads.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Hy-rds are rather pricey and I’m not sure they’ll even fit as the rear caliper fits on the chain-stay under the seat-stay and it’s quite tight.

Juin Tech and Acor are nice, but all my other brakes (MTB) are shimano and the TRP brakes take the same pads, which I have a stock of.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Just out of interest steve_b, which pads is it you use for the CX77s?

I’m still on my first set so haven’t bought any replacements yet.

kilo

Juin tech take Shimano pads

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyres v Shimano CX77’ is closed to new replies.