Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • TRP HY/RD bleed kit question…
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Anyone bled their HY/RDs?

I committed the cardinal sin of turning my bike (Tripster) upside down to change tyres, and was rewarded with two little puddles of mineral oil on the garage floor.

Although the feel doesn’t seem to be much affected I don’t fancy riding it in that state. I bought the Tektro Disc Brake Service Kit, but I think this is not the correct kit, as the HY/RDs require two of the little “knurled bleed fittings” whereas that Tektro kit only gives you one.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the kit which I should have bought?

For a bonus point; the instructions say that use of other manufacturers’ mineral oil may lead to injury or death. Is this a genuine concern?

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I know it’s bad form to bump so apologies, but has anyone bled their HY/RDs and if so which kit is appropriate?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have, my lbs gave me a couple of the knurled bleed nipples (they didn’t come with the Icetoolz kit I bought) and I have been using Finish Line mineral fluid with death arising to date.

antigee

crimsondynamo – Member
    Anyone bled their HY/RDs?

I committed the cardinal sin of turning my bike (Tripster) upside down to change tyres, and was rewarded with two little puddles of mineral oil on the garage floor.

……no but sounds like will have too 🙁

fitted some a few weeks back on my Kinesis Pro6 fed up with BB7 adjustments – complicated afternoon and ended up in dark with bike upside down on backseat of friends car / wheels off – arrived home stuffed in garage – same condition

just ran out to look no mineral oil on floor but on turning right way up could hear a distinct whistling sound

thanks for the heads up – obviously i failed to read the warnings

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

We can sort you out with a second M6 adaptor, or the full bleed kit. Give us a shout via the website:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com

ben98
    Free Member

So you can’t turn them upside down without them emptying? Seems odd?

antigee

well i’m pleased to report that despite a funny whistling noise when I uprighted the bike all was well next day – so i’m just confused – just read the online manual and no mention of a problem not really sure how the reservoir that puts more fluid into the actuator behind the pistons to make up for pad wear works but I can’t believe it is open to the air in any way

Edit just emailed TRP and asked them if it is an issue will post response

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

I’m not sure why they would leak but the fact that they’ve become responsive again could be that the air has migrated back up the lines away from the calliper. They’ll probably still need bleeding if you want to fix punctures without the same thing happening again.

antigee

^^^^^don’t think this can apply with HY/RD’s as are cable operated with the reservoir sitting in/on the caliper

antigee

TRP advise that there is a vent to the reservoir on HY/RD’s and not to leave bike upside down

Thank you for the email. In general, you don’t want to store any bike with hydraulic disc brakes upside down – you want any air that might be in the system to stay up in the reservoir. There is a tiny port by one of the top cap screws – it is meant to let air in, so the gasket can expand as the pads wear – that is how the system compensates. If they aren’t leaking and they are still working, I wouldn’t be concerned about it.[/quote]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘TRP HY/RD bleed kit question…’ is closed to new replies.