Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Troute Liberator lights – anything equal or better out there?
  • this_wreckage
    Free Member

Had my Liberator for a few years now and been thinking about a new light for next season but I can’t seem to find much out there that can live up to the standard that the Troute lamp sets. I even bought a hope R8 but took it back because it wasn’t as good; less near field spill, battery pack that weighs roughly the same as a small moon and pogos all over the place on that silly elastic strap…

The Liberator is one of the only lights that I’ve owned that is so good at spreading the light out around the bike that a helmet light becomes an option rather than a necessity. Has anyone else found anything even close?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Lunem Liberator fan here, but Exposure’s SixPack is brighter with more settings for a longer or brighter light output.
    Sorry Troutie

stevied
    Free Member

You might find it is easy enough to upgrade the LED’s in the LL depending on what’s in there.
    I can’t remember what was in there to start with but there’s some new stuff available now.

robhughes
    Free Member

LL on the bars and baby trout on my lid.Just can’t beat it so i’m staying put for now.If you can get hold of Chris i think he will still do and led upgrade for you but can’t be certain.No email addy for him anymore.
    Are you about troutie and do you fancy upping my LL for me. 😀

this_wreckage
    Free Member

How do you find the spread of light with the SixPack JohnClimber?

Not sure if I’ve got a steady enough hand for diy led replacement!

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve used just about all the top lights out there, Six Pack and Maxx-D (current 2016 models), various Moon offerings, Gloworm X1/X2/XS and numerous overhyped Chinese offerings. Never have I come across a light that works so well for MTBing, doing so much with relatively modest lumen figures as the Liberators!

I’ve got 2. Ones battery has died, the other I need a bar mount for, but they’re ace! I tend to use a Maxx-D most of the time for the convenience of being able to swap between various bikes including road, and the self contained nature. But if it’s out and out trail riding performance you want, get a Liberator, get the LED’s and optics updated to the most modern specs, get a new battery for it, and you’ll be laughing!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

this_wreckage – Member
    How do you find the spread of light with the SixPack JohnClimber?

Perfect for my XC riding, and I do have a Troutie spider eye’s on my helmet.

robhughes
    Free Member

Mboy there great aren’t they.I would love to get them up to date with the newest internals but it’s getting hold of the main man as he’s the only one i’d trust to do this.

squealer
    Free Member

Full beam do some great lights.

I use their speed led on the bars and like the op, it’s the only light I’ve used where I don’t feel I need a helmet light.

Expensive tho, wait for the sales.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I don’t particularly like dissing people on forums, but I wouldn’t bother contacting Troutie to do upgrades on his lights, I sent my darkness dominator to him 5 months ago for repair as it stopped working and have heard nothing since despite repeated emails sent.
    Someone else on here is in the same boat too, who sent his before Xmas!

stevied
    Free Member

I would love to get them up to date with the newest internals

You could gain about 1700 lumens if you went with XPG-3 LED’s but I can’t see any on 10mm boards and you’d need to update the driver too so that might not be possible if the required replacement is bigger than the current one.
    Some of the drivers of that era are not available now and the newer ones are bigger.
    Would be a fairly simple job if you can get the bits..

slimjim78
    Free Member

shame he appears to be no longer supporting his legacy product – burning bridges by not even responding to customers that are now out of pocket.

Don’t care how good the light spread is on a LL, it would have to be a Maxx-D for me now.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

That’d be me still waiting for his Liberator 🙁

stevemorg2

I really liked my Troutie but the Glowoworm XS I replaced it with is probably brighter and has a little more support available. Chris did a great job making the lights but I suppose it stopped being viable to make them with the “quality” far eastern lights – gloworm etc taking over the market

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Troute Liberator lights – anything equal or better out there?’ is closed to new replies.