Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trouble removing freewheel
  • tridau
    Free Member

Evening all,

I recently started riding my 90’s racer a bit more with the hope of tackling a few sportives on it this year.

I would like to replace the 14/24 sprocket with a 13/28 to get a lower spinning gear.

Trouble is, I can’t get the existing freewheel sprocket off. It is made by ‘Spark’ which after a little googling seems to be an Indian firm.

Anybody got any experience of this and know what tool I need to remove it? It seems to have two small holes 180 degrees apart at the inner front face of the sprocket.

orangeboy
    Free Member

There are loads of crappy free wheel tools
    Either a pic or a trip to your lbs with just the wheel and get them to spin it off

tridau
    Free Member

Hopefully this pic will work:

Freewheel Picture

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ignore the two round dots unless you want to take it apart to remove/ destroy it

Park fr-2 is the tool I think you need

Use the qr to hold the tool in place when you first start to undo it

If the tool gets broken or the indents in the free wheel round off ( this happens often )just unscrew that ring with the two round dots in and pull as much of it apart as you can then clamp what’s left in a vice and turn the wheel anti clockwise

Garry_Lager

Look like the holes for a pin spanner. Unlikely to work if it’s been corroded on for beards – it’s hard to get much torque through them – worth trying though.
    Could you dremel the whole thing off in a pinch?

tridau
    Free Member

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Many thanks!

garage-dweller

I expect you will need a chain whip too, sorry if that’s the painful art of stating the obvious!

ndg
    Free Member

No chain whip needed. I bodged a free version of the park tool from a piece of 25mm box section and a hacksaw. Clamped the tool in the vice and undid the wheel from the freewheel.

The tool engages the notches in the centre rather than the holes for a pin spanner.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nope should not need a chain whip. The free wheel tool locates on two rectangle indents and unscrews the whole lot cogs and freewheel mechanism from a thread on the hub

Edit I type to slow

garage-dweller

Doh of course. Muppet (me).

TiRed

You will also need a decent spanner. The “persuader” was a unique addition to my toolbox. 32mm ring spanner but two feet long. It still took the weight of me and Teen1 to remove the freewheel from my SS.

Btw it will be easier to change the chainrings if you can find the correct BCD

tridau
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I am used to the shimano type splined tool which slots inside. That is the only tool I have and the new freewheel is this type also. I guess the more splines you have, the better the force is transferred. Think I’ll take it nice and steady with the two prong attack!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Works every time

Yes the shoes are now in the bin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trouble removing freewheel’ is closed to new replies.