Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Trivial maths question that I'm not sure how to work out…
  • bearnecessities

Bob has given up on life, and as such has a Skoda.

Bob took his canal barge to Asda and filled it to the brim. Bob also had a little drink of diesel for himself. Bob has problems.

When Bob filled the barge and gave sneering glances to a Passat at pump 2, it had 6 miles on the clock.

Bob has covered 397 miles now, and 61.4MPG since he filled it up.

However since 0 miles, it’s apparently achieved 59MPG.

How would Bob work out what the MPG was in the first 6 miles?

Bob has a a suspicion that the car was drive at 60 in reverse for the first 6 miles of its life..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lay off the booze.

Edit.. or pour me one too 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

is this a coded message for your handler?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Tips fedora*

Jamie
    Free Member

The thing is, why would ‘bob’ even have a diesel as a new car? More and more evidence shows they are terrible polluters. I understand people with older cars who are too poor to upgrade to petrol, but as for new cars you should be going for electric or a hybrid.

tillydog
    Free Member

(397-6) miles @ 61.4 mpg = 6.368 gallons

397miles @ 59 mpg = 6.729 gallons

Difference 0.361 gallons over 6 miles = 16.6 mpg.

Bob shouldn’t believe everything his trip computer tells him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The thing is, why would ‘bob’ even have a diesel as a new car? More and more evidence shows they are terrible polluters. I understand people with older cars who are too poor to upgrade to petrol, but as for new cars you should be going for electric or a hybrid.

Suggestion of hair-shirted Renault shitbox being posted from our French correspondent in 5….4….3…

funkmasterp

If 1 Greek Drachma (Gk Dr) is worth 1 ½ Greek Drachmas, how many lamps can be bought from the market, if each lamp is 4 times the cost of each other lamp, the cost being the same as it was the year before

bearnecessities

Bob shouldn’t believe everything his trip computer tells him.

Thanks, but (and I’m way out of my depth so apols if I’m being stupid). isn’t that calculation based the MPG that was achieved after the first 6 miles?]]

EDIT: Bikebouy, I believe you’re a Programme Manager in Financial Services, so I’d really appreciate your view.

funkmasterp

Jean is shorter than Brutus but taller than Imhotep. Imhotep is taller than Jean, but shorter than Lord Scotland. Lord Scotland is twice the height of Jean and Brutus combined but only one-tenth of the height of Millsy. Millsy is at a constant height of x ? y. If Jean stands exactly one nautical mile away from Lord Scotland, how tall is Imhotep?

Through the application of maths, a solution can be arrived at. The answer is that Imhotep is invisible.

Jamie
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

I am indeed what you point out.

Thing is dear boy, I’m already downing the third whiskey and enjoying the fug..

Whose Bob ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whose Bob ?

Not mine.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

>Bob
    WOOF WOOF

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If it takes a fly a week to walk a fortnight, how long does it take to sandpaper an elephant down to a greyhound?

scaredypants

where is the treadmill in this episode ?

anyway,

When Bob filled the barge and gave sneering glances to a Passat at pump 2, it* had 6 miles on the clock

* that’s referring to the Passat, shirley ?

Jamie
    Free Member

This is getting too hard…let me out!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhnmwosgBo[/video]

tillydog
    Free Member

isn’t that calculation based the MPG that was achieved after the first 6 miles?

Yes, to find out how much fuel has been used since filling up, and then taking this away from the amount of fuel used since mile zero to find out how much was used in the first six miles.

Anyway, I’m off to the pub! 🙂

garage-dweller

Bob needs to stop worrying about it and maybe go ride his bike.

And I think tillydog is right.

blader1611
    Free Member

Sadly Bob the skoda is made by VW so that mpg reading is actually 31.2.

bearnecessities

I’ll ‘fess up that I’m clearly a bit thick, and I now realise that it is that simple.

However. 16.6 mpg?..what happens to a car in the first 6 miles of its life?

bodgy
    Free Member

I know Bob. He’s a f**king liar, and i certainly wouldn’t buy a used barge off of him.

matt_outandabout

aracer
    Free Member

What are Bob’s emissions like?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Trivial maths question that I'm not sure how to work out…’ is closed to new replies.