Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • Triple to double. Anyone not happy?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I’m thinking of changing from my current triple chainrings to a 2 x 10 when they wear out. Has anyone who’s done the same noticed that they haven’t now got the range of gears to get them up the steep stuff, or are the gears just a bit more spread out?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve lost a couple of the top gears that I never used offroad. I won’t be going back to a triple.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve lost a couple of the top gears that I never used offroad. I won’t be going back to a triple.

+1

druidh
    Free Member

What is it about a double that you see as an advantage – for you?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i ended up taking more and more gears off, now singlespeed for the winter. might put a cassette back on in spring (making it 1X9) but chances are i’ll be used to SS by then!

bigjim

I just took my big ring off and put a bash ring on, only time I miss it are the odd road commute to the hills on a downhill section, and no more bashing the ring on stuff means its win for me at least.

soobalias
    Free Member

22×32 goes up everything
    36×11 is fast enough
    Both my mtb running 2×9

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Both my mtb running 2×9

+1

jam-bo

miss the double and go straight to single.

Vortexracing

Both my mtb running 2×9

x2

clubber
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    What is it about a double that you see as an advantage – for you?

More clearance, less weight, no disadvantage. For me, of course.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

miss the double and go straight to single.

+1

toys19
    Free Member

I wnet triple to double on my covert – so I could use a stinger to prevent annoying chain dropping when using the covert for what it was designed for, and a bash ring for obvious. Very happy. Never use the top ring. On the BFe I have a full on chain device and single ring. Haven’t missed granny on that one yet..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Both my mtb running 2×9

+1

x3

27*40 front, 11-34 at back – you only lose the granny gearing that you would hardly ever use anyway as you would have such little momentum you wouldn’t be able to climb anything anyway as you would have toppled over. And if it is that steep it is likely you would be standing anyway to keep traction, and you couldn’t use those granny gear standing.

nick1962
    Free Member

Both my mtb running 2×9

+3
    I don’t understand the OP though

Has anyone who’s done the same noticed that they haven’t now got the range of gears to get them up the steep stuff, or are the gears just a bit more spread out?

Presumably you are thinking of ditching the largest chainring?
    How does the largest ring help you get up the steep stuff? 😕

emac65
    Free Member

I’m guessing he’s on about dumping the fat man granny ring…..

clubber
    Free Member

you only lose the granny gearing that you would hardly ever use anyway as you would have such little momentum you wouldn’t be able to climb anything anyway as you would have toppled over. And if it is that steep it is likely you would be standing anyway to keep traction, and you couldn’t use those granny gear standing.

FAIL 😉

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I would rather go single front as said above. If I’m going to be running shifters, cable and a front mech I can’t see any point in not just having a triple set up. On my triple I added a 26 tooth granny and this made the triple a lot more usable as I use the granny a lot now. I never once used it in the past. I also run a 36 tooth middle ring which is fine with a 11-32 cassette or 34, but I’m running a 12-28 cassette in 9 speed as thats all I have in the spares bin. Once that wears out I’m going back to 11-34 cassette but keeping with the same size front rings

Be glad when it wears out to be honest!

RealMan
    Free Member

Or both, like I did.

26/38 with an 11-32, it’s perfect for everything.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m guessing he’s on about dumping the fat man granny ring…..

As a fat man I prostate myself to the STW riding gods who don’t need a granny 🙂

A 34 on the cassette is a good idea though .Doesn’t 1 tooth on the back = 3 on the front or something?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

ditched the granny years ago.

44/32 x 12/34 (9sp)

if you cant up something on a 32×34 then somethings wrong

(live in Pennines, not suffolk)

sweaman2
    Free Member

clubber +1 – Plenty of climbs where I am (Canadian Rockies) where no granny ring means lots of pushing…. 500m+ of climbing @ 2000m above sea level.. I live in the granny ring on the ups.

jonba
    Free Member

I ditched the big ring a while ago and didn’t miss it until I started racing. Even then I only really used it on easy courses.

I am still on 9sp. I just took the outer ring off and replaced with a bash. I assume you are thinking of getting bigger chainrings not just keeping 22 and 32 at the front.

You should be fine, it depends on what kind of rider you are. I prefer to spin and stay seated so like lower gears. If you stand up a lot or prefer to push big gears then you’ll want higher ones.

CaptJon
    Free Member

My knees say “Granny ring FTW”

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

22/36 here with 11-34 cassette.

Sometimes I spin out descending fireroads, which begs the question – why are you descending on a fireroad?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

if you cant up something on a 32×34 then somethings wrong

That’ll be a hill then. 😉

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Didn’t change anything on my heckler, just dropped the big ring in place of a bash. More ground clearance, and I never used the big ring anyhoo, except as a really grippy bash.
    HT is 1 x 9 to encourage climbing technique and fitness, 36 up front.
    I will never run a triple again.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I ride 1×9. 34 on the front and 11-34 on the back, 9speed. Love it, wouldn’t go back, does all I ask and can’t see a need for more except on roads going down steep.

nick1962
    Free Member

So to summarise the first hour so far
    44/32 x 12/34 (9sp) is right
    26/38 with an 11-32, it’s perfect for everything.
    22/36 here with 11-34 cassette
    27*40 front, 11-34 at back
    22×32 goes up everything
    36×11 is fast enough
    and use a granny ring if you value your knees.
    Fat men need grannys
    And still no wiser on type of bike or riding or terrain
    Glad that’s all cleared up. 🙂

racefaceec90

since buying a new bike with 2×10.have no intention of going back to 3×9.you’re only missing the biggest/smallest ratios.as you can use all the cassette with both front rings.also easier to clean 😉 as the saying goes “try it.you might like it!” 🙂

Northwind

22/36 on both my main bikes… 1×9 with 32 on the XC whippet. I wouldn’t go single ring on either of the bigger bikes, the granny’s only really there for the longest and draggiest of long draggy climbs but that makes it worth having.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I just don’t get doubles at all, like I said earlier you still have to set a ball ache of a front mech up and have a shifter and cable and front mech, also still a fairly long chain. Why not just have an even spread of front rings? I can totally see the point in a single front ring the benefits are obvious to me. I ride a bit on the road though so the top ring is used. I can’t help but think this is another fashion thing! I have run them all too, double, triple, single,

timmys

I went from a triple to a double and didn’t like it. I lost the big ring and changed the middle from a 32 to a 36 but found that I had to change down to the granny a lot more and for me the increased frequency of changing rings at the front versus staying on the middle 95% of the time was a definite downgrade.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Still liking triples. If you never see the need for 44/11 then your bike is either too heavy or you really are riding in Calderdale or similar all the time. If only for a few seconds I appreciate being able to sprint 44/11 on canal paths and well used forest path…

hillsplease

Tried a double and on a 29er found I missed the littler gears, so not the thing for me on bigger rides.

Sticking with 3*10 – not found the weight/clearance issues a problem, but accept it might not be for everyone. It doesn’t look cool either.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

1 X 9/10 unless your a girl.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Sticking with 3*10 – not found the weight/clearance issues a problem, but accept it might not be for everyone. It doesn’t look cool either.

You mean we can forget 11 x 2 or 3?

Thank **** for that! Enough with the different milk and breads already!

handyman
    Free Member

I have both a 2x 10 on hardtail 29er and 3×9 on my 29er full suss however in races i find the 27×36 on the ht just not easier enough on long climbs for if i get to a step up my legs are often to tired to give that burst of speed needed but when using my granny on the full suss i can drop down 1 or 2 cogs and then give that burst needed. Maybe at 53 i have missed the 2×10 boat. I tend ride in middle of cassette in both granny and mid ring and just use granny on the long climbs or technical rocky climbs

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1 X 9/10 unless your a girl
    Who rides round Norfolk.
    I have 3 x 10, ride Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, Pennines & Highlands & I find a use for every gear!

Northwind

van cough cough – Member

Still liking triples. If you never see the need for 44/11 then your bike is either too heavy or you really are riding in Calderdale or similar all the time.

Rubbish, is my 25lb C456 too heavy? The only time I’ve ever thought I could use it has been descending on fireroads and tarmac, and in those situations who cares whether you could spin it 1mph faster?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Triple to double. Anyone not happy?’ is closed to new replies.