Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Triple Glazing….anyone had it done?
  • Black
    Free Member

Is there a substantial reduction in noise over DG?

Cheers,

J

Black
    Free Member

Come on, are we all luddites?

Drac

I think first thing you need is a house.

theflatboy
    Free Member

😆

Black
    Free Member

I think first thing you need is a house.

True, but I need to know how much it would cost to make it sound proof…ish.

Rio

I used to live next to a railway line and had triple glazing on the bedroom window to keep the noise out. You need a big air gap to get any meaningful reduction in noise so mine was effectively secondary glazing in addition to a standard sealed unit. It worked ok. People living in the same area often also had air con in the bedroom as obviously if you sleep with the window open the soundproofing is somewhat limited!

rootes1

staied ina hotel recently in Lille (dull place) the rooms had two lots of double witha big gap in between effectively one double on the outside face and one on the inside face – had amazing sound proofness

saleem
    Free Member

Makes no difference, what makes the difference is the size of the cavity between the glass, well sealed fitting rubber if they are upvc.

romster
    Free Member

That bird off full monty had it and it seemed to work. "Naythan!!! Naythe!!! Well, he can't hear me can he through ya triple bloody glazing." Wonder if she uses stw? 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

staied ina hotel recently in Lille (dull place) the rooms had two lots of double witha big gap in between effectively one double on the outside face and one on the inside face – had amazing sound proofness

yip.

I remember a lecture i had about some flats an architect had done in Glasgow, on High Street, which is a very busy road. It was also a Mill conversion. So they had opening double glazed windows level with the outside of the wall, and a second set of opening windows level with the inside of the wall.
    the sound reduction was quite remarkable i seem to remember – something like 40+Db between all windows shut and fully open.

Tho what they found was alot of the residents prefered to leave the inner ones open, and use the window sill as a seat during the day time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Triple Glazing….anyone had it done?’ is closed to new replies.