Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Trimming a front door
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I need to trim approx. 3mm around off of a freshly painted Veneered hardwood- door…I was gonna run a circular saw along it..

Or should a router be my weapon of choice here?

Stoner
    Free Member

or power planer….

but router and rail probably the most accurate method.

footflaps

Not owning a Router, I’d use a track saw (circular saw with integrated track for keeping it dead straight).

bruneep

Oh I thought this was about something else 😳

footflaps

What Router bit for a ‘landing strip’ 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

What Router bit for a ‘landing strip’

V-Groove, shirley?

spchantler
    Free Member

planer or this nice tool

br
    Free Member

Clamp a straight edge and Router it.

Worth adding some sacrificial pieces at the ends.

project
    Free Member

Being an engineered door, youll find its made up of blocks of wood or a chipboard core, and only a hardwood veneer , use a power plane as an ordinary one will blunt quite quick and is hard work. also beaware of ripping the vener of the door, sometimes it comes off as a sheet.

And ensure the door is tightly secured as a door sliding backwards while held between the legs, will result in the door slipping and the planer cutting into your knee, done that only once, not nice.

tymbian
    Free Member

Not possessing an eletric planer and having just made a straight-edge guide for my Circular..I thought I’d use it. I can make a guide for my router although I’ve used a clamped spirit-level in the past. Sacrificial end pieces are a sound idea.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can make a guide for my router although I’ve used a clamped spirit-level in the past.

If you’ve got a nice sharp bit and you’re confident using a router, then go for that, the circular saw is more likely to cause damage imo. Not entirely sure what “freshly painted Veneered hardwood” means but if you do use the circular saw then score a line with a stanley knife a couple of mills above the cut line before you cut it. Lightly sand the arris/edge afterwards.

EDIT : I’ve just remembered you only want to remove 3mm, a circular saw is going to be awkward to use. A hand plane would be best imo.

Stoner
    Free Member

A hand plane would be best imo.

you old romantic, you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Indeed, and it really needs to be a proper plane with a striking button ….. for a top notch job.

It’s how Jesus would have done it 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

^^ do people still use these?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No ! 😀

EDIT : Not ones with striking buttons that is.

slackalice
    Free Member

Clamp your straight edge and use the circular saw!

Engineered doors will usually have a 10mm hardwood strip to all edges to allow for shooting in.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Get a new blade if you decide to take 3mm off with a circular saw, a less than sharp blade will bend and distort trying to remove so little material.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you intend to remove 3mm with a circular saw I would think you will struggle.

An average corcular saw blade would have a 3mm cut width.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rent an electric plane.

oldnick

You are missing a planer in your life.

Correct number of tools is given by t = t + 1

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re inexperienced with an electric planer, be careful; they can take off a hell of a lot more than you want. I would do it with my trusty Miller’s Falls hand plane, £1.00 from a car boot sale.

spchantler
    Free Member

^^nice find!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Trimming a front door’ is closed to new replies.