• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aw.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tricross SS – anyone got one?
  • Soup
    Free Member

Just ordered mine ’09.

What do you make of them?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

they look nice

nearly bought one of the £270 ’08 ones last week

JonBurns
    Free Member

I bought the 08 from Pearsons a week or so ago. So far I’ve only built it up and ridden it up and down the street but for what I paid for it it’s ace. Will be making it fixed and riding it to work pretty soon hopefully.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Excellent bike.

Light, low maintenance, good fun. Be prepared for a lot of pain initially if you’re not used to singlespeed 😉

Soup
    Free Member

Getting it on the bike2work scheme so it’s as cheap as anything. Gong to use it to commute – half road / half off.

Think it’ll do the job. No geared bikes left for me now.

Had to go for the ’09 – thought the army green was hideous.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bearings are nowt special. Just pulled the BB out and its lousy. Common or garden Shimano going in. Whel bearings nice easy cones but give them a grease. haven’t loked at headset yet but not anticpating anything special. Tyres good in mud and tarmac. Brakes so so. trying Lx cantis at the moment but whilst an improvement they are nothing wonderful.
    use the bike instead of my Enduro round the FoD in this weather. great. Only time I drop behind is on fast descents where the tyres just won’t cope.

miketually
    Free Member

A ggod bike ruined by having a price point, according to JoB (IIRC).

justa
    Free Member

don’t most bikes have a price point ?

I bought one last week – seems great for the money

had a quick ride and have to agree with mtbtomo – it was painful 🙁

need to get fitter or change the 42t chainring

triple_s

I love mine, 42:18 is a bit big for off road. Just put some new wheels on mine with a 19t sprocket feels much better, stock wheels are a bit flexy and heavy but it’s still a bargain….I think the brakes on mine are pretty good for v’s…

JonBurns
    Free Member

I didn’t mean that as a bad thing I looked at them during the summer and at full price (£450) I was very tempted. I wanted a road single/fixed for commuting but this was £50 more than some other bikes I’d looked at. I ended up getting nowt whether Lemond, Specialized, Charge etc…

When pearsons dropped their price to £275 it was an absolute no brainer and well worth a punt.

I wanted a single/fixed bike for riding to work now I have that plus a bike with slightly more relaxed riding position, will take bad tarmac better and can even use it for light off roading. Chuffed to bits already got a 16t sprocket on order so just need to learn to track stand and traffic lights 😀

justa
    Free Member

triple_s – where did you get the 19t sprocket from ?!!

would make it a similar ratio to 39:18…

triple_s

It’s a white ind free wheel, got it when I was in the US when I was out there over new year…

brack
    Free Member

After all of my initial posts I really am uncertain about whether to go for the 2008 single tri or not.

My company won’t sign up for the C2W scheme….

And am in the throws of renovating a house – oh and have 4 bikes already.

My commute involves a 7 mile XC route including farm tracks, greavel paths and a canal path…I’d love to but the bike but is it really that special??

I cycled my route today and can’t help feeling that I would feel bloody precarious as hell on those slim wheels?

justa
    Free Member

they don’t feel precarious – well usable off road

justa
    Free Member

thanks triple – can’t find one – that would explain it

triple_s

It took me a little while to get used to mine but once it clicked I was happily riding singletrack nearly as quickly as my MTB, for farm tracks etc it’s fine.

aw
    Free Member

Tricross looks good but I have one of these…

difference being it is a steel road bike. Price is about the same just under £300…

Or I built one of these…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tricross SS – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.