Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tricky/tech river/stream crossing on the Mendip hills
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Seen it mentioned on here a few times and wouldn’t mind a crack at it.
    Getting to know the lay of the land now and it would great if I could be pointed to this trail.

wrecker
    Free Member

Opposite the car park up the road from bad ass bikes. Up the little lane by the house (on the right with the barky dog) and up the semi-rocky climby bit to the gate. Through the gate and turn right. Follow the bridleway until you hit the stream. I think it’s just there. The big roots after it can be tricky in the wet.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Thanks man i’ll have a look for that tomorrow.

wrecker
    Free Member

No worries. Sorry the directions are a bit shit.
    I may be out one evening after work next week if that helps?

andyl
    Free Member

I will nail this one day..in fact I was just thinking the other day I am going to just go practice this bit over and over again until I get it in one go. I just keep losing momentum and then mess up the steep slippy bit out.

The muddy rooty bit after it is horrible. Best thing to do is go up high to the left and then drop down over the roots. Then take another left, but no so high, line out of the last bit of it.

It is here in the trees:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=mendips&hl=en&ll=51.318993,-2.748449&spn=0.002746,0.008256&sll=51.333843,-2.79439&sspn=0.01098,0.033023&t=h&gl=uk&hq=mendips&z=18

You’ll be doing the trail from the right across to the left.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s doable just go high early and wide and put the power down as soon as possible. Easier said than done!

andyl
    Free Member

I think if the stream/drop wasn’t there on your right it would be a lot easier if you know what I mean?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Nailed it first go 🙂 well happy with that.
    Not sure if I was going the right way but it turned to the left.
    Hit the roots on the left close to the tree, go in quite fast with seat down, raise seat and push through.
    Simples! or I got lucky.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

rondo101
    Free Member

I usually do it in the opposite direction (turning to the right), as once you’ve got across the stream the trail goes slightly uphill, which is the difficult bit. I’ve made the mistake of getting out my saddle, spun my rear wheel & stalled on that bit more times than I care to remember. The trick is to go up the bank to the left immediately before the stream, which puts you on a straighter line for the stream crossing, making the bit after a little easier.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tricky/tech river/stream crossing on the Mendip hills’ is closed to new replies.