Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tricks are for kids but what if their dad's don't have skillz?
  • mattp
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me whether there is a BMX club for 4/5 year olds in reading or nearby. somewhere with a bit of structure rather than a turn up and whiz about park….

cookeaa

Hayes BMX club, down the M4 a bit… Google "Hayes BMX" you'll soon find them…

There was talk of a new BMX club being started in Reading, but it seems to have just been spiel when they re-did the Waterloo Meadow track…

I'm in Reading, my nippers is 11 months old, would be good if Reading had a pukka BMX club by the time she hits 5 too,

Trekster
    cookeaa

I'm game I have various other commitments, a crappy BMX, and no real talent or experience, Oh and I'm quite un-reliable…
    Give me your child and I shall hand you back a world champion… Honest!

But Reading could do with A BMX club, we've got plenty of tracks, just none of them are Competition standard so far as I'm aware (not been to see the new one at Lower Earley, is it built yet?)

Any other locals?

oldgit
    Free Member

Kids learn themselves up. I'm strictly two wheels on the ground, but when I took my son out on his first mountainbike ride I looked round whilst unloading my bike to see him endoing and trying to do some kind of bunny hop endo thing.
    He was riding on a nearby council estate and was doing something with scaffold planks on some flat roof garages?

mattp
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

Hayes BMX club, down the M4 a bit… Google "Hayes BMX" you'll soon find them…

this looks like the sort of thing but my idea of sport doesn't include driving this far. i live in calcot and to get to hayes is appx. 40 mins which isn't ideal particularly if mattp jnr really takes to it…

Trekster – Member

bmx clubs. get qualified and start your own

hmmm – with no experience of running or being involved in club sports let alone starting from scratch i'd be reliant on others for guidance and experience in a very hands on way. not to say that i'd completely dismiss this approach but would prefer to get involved in supporting an existing club…

cookeaa

I’m just up the road from you in Southcote, and would in all seriousness be happy to lend some time to a Hayes type club running events and training for all age groups, but also like you I lack the experience, knowledge and training required, plus I’m not really sure we have a properly suitable local venue, first port of call should probably be the RBC cycling officer, although I think as your in Calcot you fall under West Berks CC don’t you…
    If you want to discuss the idea further my email link is in my profile…

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Most of Calcot is West Berks (I kinda work for them)

I can speak to the travel officer, She is very helpful and will probably be able to give some advice. I doubt WBC could do anymore than advise though, to say money is tight is a huge understatement.

I would happily help out with something like this, Reading and the surrounding area could do with something like it, my lad is 7 and would love it.

One thing, I do some mentoring and when I have looked into taking groups cycling the risk assessment stuff and problems with kids turning up on badly maintained bikes has been a real headache.

mattp
    Free Member

back from digging the garden – i'm supposed to have the week off but i'm working harded than ever!!!

i appreciate the offers of assistance but i'm going to take this back a step and look at other clubs [even if it means the not ideal travel]. if jnr really gets the bug, which i'm pretty sure he will, i will reignite this with some intent. i'll probably talk to the guys at hayes and possibly WDMBC to establish how, what, why etc before working on the where [allthough i don't know anyone at either of these clubs, yet]. there are a few benevolent millionaires in the borough that are able if not yet willing to assist with land if we can't do something public

mattp
    Free Member

…and the evening crew, do you have pearls of wisdom to shower us with?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tricks are for kids but what if their dad's don't have skillz?’ is closed to new replies.