Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Trick or treaters
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Is it just me or is it bang out of order to knock on someone’s door and ask for free sweets?
    I could do with a beer so I might go up and down the street asking all the parents to empty their fridge.
    Sat with the windows shut ignoring the knocks at the door. bah humbug

scotroutes

As it’s not actually Halloween yet….

mtbfix

It’s out of order today. Fair game come Monday. The tykes love it!

Drac

Phew! I was worried no one was going to post this shite again this year.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say @#?%$£&ing firework &%’~>]###er’s?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

chocolate covered brussels sprouts should sort them out

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say @#?%$£&ing firework &%’~>]###er’s?

Can I be the first to say racist!
    Happy Diwali!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just put a big sign on your door saying..’IF YOU DON’T WANT A BUCKET OF WATER CHUCKED AT YOU, DO NOT KNOCK OR RING BELL’

Failing that, don’t answer the door.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Depends how they do it. Not so keen on the ones that jam a tree branch in the door when you open it so that you can’t close it. Tree branch gets removed once you’ve given them enough money.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Depends how they do it. Not so keen on the ones that jam a tree branch in the door when you open it so that you can’t close it. Tree branch gets removed once you’ve given them enough money.

Are these kids 18-19+ years old?

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’s tomorrow….it’s just the @#?%$£er’s tonight.

singlespeedstu

Bucket of piss should sort them out.

MoreCashThanDash

Stopped complaining after a couple of (properly) grown up young ladies came round the village trick or treating a couple of years ago dressed as “naughty witches”.

I did think I’d just dreamt it but several other neighbours remember it.

They have never been back, btw.

bigyim
    Free Member

Wwpadler, they would be in a and e having part of a tree removed from their anatomy

breadcrumb

We’re fairly remote so can’t see us getting any.

Also can’t hear any fireworks either.

Drac

That’s tomorrow….it’s just the @#?%$£er’s tonight.

It’s tonight just as much as tomorrow

km79
    Free Member

I like to keep the outside of my house looking fairly run down and uninviting. That keeps most people away. That and the rumours…

Cletus

Round our way it is most pre-teen kids supervised by an adult who only call out houses with a pumpkin outside. I thought that this was pretty much standard procedure nowadays.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ok.
    Some people are letting off fireworks.
    Some of them are @&*%£”%er’s.
    Some of them may be celebrating another slightly different and also unsubstantiated fictitious belief system (as they are fully entitled to).
    Both are as annoying as ****.
    Betterer?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like to keep the outside of my house looking fairly run down and uninviting. That keeps most people away. That and the pampas grass

cozz
    Free Member

time to put my framed photo of Jimmy in the window ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Round our way it is most pre-teen kids supervised by an adult who only call out houses with a pumpkin outside. I thought that this was pretty much standard procedure nowadays.

Same here. We get involved. Last year I would nip out the back door and run round to chase any kid that knocked at the front. This year I’m feeling lazy so I’m just going to photocopy my head and stick it in a big glass jar to be left on the doorstep. Plus my wife always buys too many sweets. Win all round.

wilburt
    Free Member

Same here and it works really well, the streets are rammed with kids its a real community feel to the evening. It has taken a turn recently with many housholds putting increasingly scary shows, the ultimate aim is to make the kids (or even parents!) wee themselves just a little. Great fun.

Sandwich

@BiggerButSlimmerBloke I’m mixing it up this year with chocolate pickled onions 😈

Proper e-numbers and sugar treats on Monday though.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Super Soaker filled with piss usually sorts them out

mattsccm
    Free Member

Take it back to America and celebrate with Charlie Brown.
    Penny for the guy is fair enough next week though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Started in Ireland actually… well the jack o’lantern did. Pumpkins being easier to carve than swedes (turnips as we used to call them) and plentiful, pumpkins it became

Rorschach
    Free Member

Started in Ireland actually… well the jack o’lantern did.Pumpkins being easier to carve than swedes because they could’nt get potatoes.

FTFY

john_drummer
    Free Member

😆

Pieface

We have the pumpkin thing round here too, works quite well. Mostly younger children with their parents. Often meet up with friends and go round altogether. We only knock on the doors that have a lit pumpkin. We have a pumpkin in our window and turn it off when we run out of goodies and the kids respect it. All works out quite well

dmck16
    Free Member

A jar of Soor Plooms and a slingshot. Jobs a good un 🙂

Cougar

Super Soaker filled with piss usually sorts them out

They challenged me to a water fight last year. I won, just me and my kettle.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its guising and it involves doing a turn.

Joke or poem and you get a sweet

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hot water obvz?

aracer
    Free Member

Another +1 – is a really big thing on our ~200 house estate with a lot of effort being made to decorate houses and other stuff – this will be outside the front of mine, along with some other stuff. We made a graveyard last year.

[video]http://vimeo.com/144826651[/video]

I’m wondering if I should warn our new neighbours who don’t have kids!

Drac

Its guising and it involves doing a turn.
    Joke or poem and you get a sweet

That’s next week and no need for a poem or joke, it’s a penny for the guy not opportunity knocks.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I like to keep the outside of my house looking fairly run down and uninviting

Like a haunted house? That will keep them away this halloween

scotroutes

Guising has nothing to do with Guy Fawkes. Guise comes from the same root as the word Disguise and is to do with dressing up, possibly so the dead wouldn’t recognise you to haunt you when they rise on All Hallows Eve.

It’s merely co-incidental that we also celebrate the death of a freedom-fighter/terrorist so close to the end of October.

user-removed
    Free Member

Druidh has it. Guising has been a (Scots at least) tradition for generations. Nothing to do with failed gunpowder plots. Trick or treating is a different animal – back in my day, if you didn’t at least tell a half decent joke you’d leave with a flea in yer ear.

Drac

Different Guysing then, I see.

In fact very different.

“Historically, guisers were adults, often men who wore false faces and dressed up, sometimes in women’s clothes.”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Trick or treaters’ is closed to new replies.