Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Triathlon training watch
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Big sister is doing her first Triathlon this year and looking to track her training and race. As I hate running and swimming, I’ve no idea about anything outside of the bike
    Whats the most useful training tools? Anything more appropriate than a Garmin forerunner?
    ta

scruff9252

I use a garmin 310xt which is suitable for all three (get the quick release strap to mount on bars / stem when on bike). If swimming in the pool, this doesn’t auto count laps but you can push “lap button” each length to keep ount how far you’ve swam. The more expensive ones auto count though.Excellent (16hrs+)battery life and cheap as chips now so can be had for around £100.

I have recently also bought a garmin swim to do autocount the laps which is another hundred £ but pretty good.

Alternatively there is the 910xt? not sure on price now but that was more than both 310 & swim combined when I was shopping.

I prpesume you have found DC Rainmaker for reviews?

I think tom tom do a multi sport watch too but no experience myself…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

gotta 910 …. love it… apart from general Garmin complaints

But the newest one looks sweet and l think polar have up thier game.

Have a look on (l think it’s ) DC rainmaker reviews of endurance gadgets

Edit… yep guess l was right dc rainmaker it is… but be prepared to lose half a day looking on there

matt_bl
    Free Member

The 910xt gets good reviews as does the new 920xt, but to me they always look a bit clunky.

I really like the look of the new Fenix 3. It seems to do pretty much everything that the 910xt does but looks much more like a normal watch. Only just come out in the UK so the reviews are limited.

Matt

cp

910xt is a little under 200 now inc hrm, bargain.

It does open water and pool swim logging. I have a 310xt and swim, and find them very useful for training.

sc-xc

I have the Polar V800, which gets a great review on the DC site. It’s great, neat app, and I can wear it all day without it looking out of place.

I have the blue strap one, for it from Amazon for about £280

kongman28
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Vivoactive and Itll do everything for £199. And it’s way smaller than most others and smart enough to wear all the time.

windydave13
    Free Member

Another +1 for the 910 XT. It looks chunky but never had an issue getting my wetsuit off over it. You can build in the transitions as well so you know exactly how long each leg has taken

Dave

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a fenix 3 and it’s very good. The only downer is you can’t load maps on to it like fenix 2. Which is gash. But it’s stable, good battery

OCB
    Free Member

Recommend what you own of course, but I’d say a 910XT too (if you can find one). Mine has had lots (and lots) of use, and it’s been a great watch, it’s done everything I’ve needed it too, and it’s worked completely faultlessly the entire time. If you can get it for <200, then bargain indeed.

All that said, I have now got a Fenix3 on pre-order (sapphire, so ‘delayed’ 🙄 ), but only as I do now need more navigation features than the 910XT / 920XT has (and don’t want to lug a handheld around), otherwise I’d just use my 910XT until it it died of natural causes (then get a 920XT).

Edric64
    Free Member

Garmin 910 is excellent needs charging after 17hours so not really a watch .Bought mine new for 136 quid from Amazon in a boxing day sale

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I had a garmin 920 for a couple of months. Lots of features and worked well, but a number of other faults that resulted in warranty replacement. The replacement was also faulty so got a refund.

Shame as was a really smart but of kit but for the price not good enough.

After that and the poor garmin customer service, I have sworn never to but their stuff again and keep using my old 305.

However the vivo active looks tempting. Appears to do about 90% of what the 920 did, but half the price.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon training watch’ is closed to new replies.